Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: X-plane discussion  (Read 12025 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
X-plane discussion
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:58:41 am »

I have just read the last blog post at xplanescenery.blogspot.com where Ben Supnik talks about several aspects of procedural and algorithmic approaches to world building. A nice analysis, btw.
The post also refers to a thread on x-plane forums where there seems to be a heated discussion about Outerra engine for X-plane.

I must say that I'm almost sorry for the bother we are creating, and I completely agree with Ben about that they must not be "spending one brain cell considering putting a new rendering engine into X-Plane" when they want to get their version 10 done in time.

Still, it's interesting to read the discussion :cool:

razgriz 53992

X-plane discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:28:06 am »

Read through the start of it.

It is very interesting, but it would seem the large majority don't like this engine, at least not for X-Plane. However, it is funny seeing a person who hates it with about 10 reasons (performance, detail, airport rendering etc), and then someone who knows more about this engine whittles it down to a lot less reasons explaining how the engine actually works.

That's a good thing, despite my bad explaining ;)

Michal

• http://blog.blockhouse-c.com
X-plane discussion
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:30:19 am »

I've found funny pointing lack of weather in terrain engine.

I think I know why Outerra generated such buzz in flight simulation community. You are creating something in a different way than other planetary engines for flight simulation (FS, X-Plane, Flight Gear), thinking outside of the box. You've proved it's possible to have a whole planet to visit, and achieve level of detail seen in FPS games until now.

I can't wait when you'll add landclass definitions and imported vector data. :)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
X-plane discussion
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:05:21 pm »

Good read.

It's funny reading the discussion.  You can tell the "fanboys" easily (admittedly, I'm an Outerra fanboy :D) by how passionate they are against other engines.  The non-fanboys may be against it too, but they have logical reasons.  Trying to integrate a whole new engine into something that's already been built is completely illogical.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
X-plane discussion
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 03:22:34 pm »

Found a great video showing why I think Outerra is a huge waste on the flight sim community ;)

[youtube]4LzLa5OrmtM[/youtube]

This guy is WAY too invested on his thousands of dollars of control panels and I believe his single 17" 4:3 display could be showing a DOS based flight sim and this guy would be happy. You can only make the sky so interesting.

in defense of insane flight-simmers.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Michal

• http://blog.blockhouse-c.com
X-plane discussion
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:39:46 pm »

There is a Boeing airliner simulator (I can't find it now though) that doesn't have environment rendering at all.

I believe this guy is interested in avionics and systems, 'windows' are not that important.

ddenn

X-plane discussion
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:51:51 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Found a great video showing why I think Outerra is a huge waste on the flight sim community ;)
It won't be a waste for flight simmers, most of them never happy :)

This russian guy is making cockpit for x-plane, and now he planning to make moving platform for it - http://www.avsim.su/forum/topic/106508-kabina-twin-turboprop/

[youtube]h5asfWeh2J4[/youtube]
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian