Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Interesting read - the future of the simulations  (Read 12043 times)

Michal

• http://blog.blockhouse-c.com
Interesting read - the future of the simulations
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:41:05 am »

Future of the simulations by few sim-developers. Can't say I agree with all of them, but it's interesting to read anyway.

http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/all_106a.html

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 04:59:26 am »

Lol. Nobody tell that to cameni..

OpenGL.. Suck it!

I can't read it all tonight I am going blind. I keep thinking someone should show them this engine.. And then I keep thinking how ridiculous this forum would get should a site like SimHQ take notice. When ATi fix their stuff. I will bring as many people here as I am told to. Not one minute before.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:29:38 am »

Actually, three of those guys wrote us already in the past year, inquiring.
And fourth one has been discussing it with Robert.

Not a bad score :)

The only problem is that we aren't ready to license the tech yet, but every one wanted to be informed when we would.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:46:55 am »

Quote from: cameni
Actually, three of those guys wrote us already in the past year, inquiring.
And fourth one has been discussing it with Robert.

Not a bad score :)

The only problem is that we aren't ready to license the tech yet, but every one wanted to be informed when we would.

Good to know everyone "in the know" has the same mindset as I do. "Hoard Outerra". Tell no-one about it and maybe it won't be corrupted and ruined by mass amounts of stupids who would descend upon these lands.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Timmo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:20:45 pm »

"New, creative solutions must be implemented if the commercial side of the hobby is to survive. A civilian flight sim is more likely to survive than a combat sim though, but a lot of us combat guys find this dreadfully boring"

I.e. stop trying to re-invent the world every time you want to move an object across its surface!

This is where a piece of software like Outerra could slot in nicely- Sim development therefore moves from trying to do everything well (scenery, physics, 3D graphics etc) to trying to do one thing very well (i.e. development of complex military aircraft systems and weapons or complex campaigns) while leaving a large part to an extensible 3rd party 'world'

Reschke

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 03:29:05 pm »

Quote from: Timmo
"New, creative solutions must be implemented if the commercial side of the hobby is to survive. A civilian flight sim is more likely to survive than a combat sim though, but a lot of us combat guys find this dreadfully boring"

I.e. stop trying to re-invent the world every time you want to move an object across its surface!

This is where a piece of software like Outerra could slot in nicely- Sim development therefore moves from trying to do everything well (scenery, physics, 3D graphics etc) to trying to do one thing very well (i.e. development of complex military aircraft systems and weapons or complex campaigns) while leaving a large part to an extensible 3rd party 'world'

You know Timmo I have been watching this terrain engine for quite a while now and its amazing and I wish that would happen. Unfortunately I think too many of the "super egos" in the flight simulation world aren't going to do that just because they can't take credit for coming up with something as....visionary as this terrain engine.

I hope I am wrong but I honestly don't think I will be.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 10:35:53 pm »

Quote from: Timmo
A civilian flight sim is more likely to survive than a combat sim though, but a lot of us combat guys find this dreadfully boring

Ready for a mind blowing thought? You could have both. I mean in real life right now are there not commercial and private and military aircraft all flying around doing their jobs across the globe? So if it works in the real world it should work in Outerra because OUTERRA IS THE ENTIRE WORLD..