Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Desert people  (Read 15887 times)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Desert people
« on: December 22, 2010, 12:29:27 am »

(split from here)

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Definitely on the beach but he has to do a 1080P version..

Agreed :D

You know, Angrypig and Cameni hates us now :).  I can imagine the conversation in the Outerra office:

Cameni: Good Lord, cshawnsmith is requesting another thing that will take us away from our work!
Angrypig: Why don't you just ban them, already?
Cameni: Bad press.
Angrypig: With an engine like this, you're really worried about the press?
Cameni: Well, consider Zeos, Raiko, and Shawn all working together -- not to mention the other yahoos on the forum -- they could end any advancements we make, just from their demands!  After all, Shawn actually asked for a shot of Lake Lewisville, the most boring place on the planet!
Angrypig: Not to mention him and a few others asked for the Grand Canyon, complete with Pine Trees!
Cameni:  EXACTLY!  Crazy Americans!  Good lord, I wish they'd never Googled us!

:lol:
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Desert people
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:53:32 am »

Yes, while Zeos and Shawn do technical questions, Raiko comes up with new ideas, and always has some question for us! :lol:
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Desert people
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 02:52:23 am »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
Cameni:  EXACTLY!  Crazy Americans!  Good lord, I wish they'd never Googled us!
:D

How did you guys find us anyway?

Though we are not saying "good lord" around here. If you want a common utterance unique to Outerra office, that would be .. um, how to translate it - something like "desertwards", going/heading in the direction of a desert, and several other variants of desert-something :)

Cameni: Desertwards, cshawnsmith is requesting another thing that will take us away from our work!
Angrypig: Why don't you just send him to a desert, already?
Cameni: Bad press, desert-ah.
Angrypig: With an engine like this, you're really worried about the press?
Cameni: Well, consider Zeos, Raiko, and Shawn all working together -- not to mention the other yahoos on the forum -- they could end any advancements we make, just from their demands!  After all, Shawn actually asked for a shot of Lake Lewisville, the most boring place on the desert!
Angrypig: Not to mention him and a few others asked for the Grand Canyon, complete with Pine Trees!
Cameni:  EXACTLY!  Crazy desert Americans! I wish they'd never Googled us!

Jagerbomber

Desert people
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:32:09 am »

I'm pretty sure I found you through Youtube.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

OGREMAN

Desert people
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 10:07:00 am »

Hi Cameni ... AngryPig, I found you via a link published in the forum of the flight sim Digital Combat Simulation (DCS) to your YouTube vids!
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Desert people
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 11:01:10 am »

I found out about this place through a forum for Il-2 Sturmovik 1946.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

C. Shawn Smith

Desert people
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:05:16 pm »

A simple blurb somewhere on the Infinity forums, while doing research on procedurally generated terrain engines.

C. Shawn Smith

Desert people
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 01:45:10 am »

Quote from: cameni
something like "desertwards",

Heh, that's interesting to note (and I loved the re-write of my little blurb), because in my Greywolf novel, there is a scene in which one of the characters says something to the effect of "To the Desert with you!"  That iteration of the scene never made it into my first draft (which I think you've read), but it's still there, waiting to be exploited.

I'll have to add a new dedication blurb in the future for you resurrecting that little bit of conversation :D.

What were the words in your native language?  Who knows, maybe some iteration of it will find its way into my elven bastardized language :D

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Desert people
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 02:24:57 am »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
What were the words in your native language?  Who knows, maybe some iteration of it will find its way into my elven bastardized language :D
Well it's "do púšte" (standard, doh poo-sh-tje, exactly meaning "to a/the desert") but we are usually using bastardized forms by adding -ába suffix (ah-bah) to words that then get the meaning of "(going/heading) in the direction of ...". And it doesn't matter if the root was from Slovak or English :)
So it could be púšťába as well as desertába. "Going to work" would be "going workába". Writing Shawnába. I'm not sure where this came from, it's recognized just by few people around me as a kind of language joke. Much like creating "German" verbs just by suffixing verbs by -eren,-ere. But as far as I know it's recognized just by a few, so it's no global social phenomenon, just a local trait.

C. Shawn Smith

Desert people
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 03:03:59 am »

Hmm, I'll have to consider this in detail tomorrow.  My ex's family is from Slovenia, so I'm more or less familiar with the regional similarities of the languages and dialects, just not the specifics.  Just don't get her father angry, because his dialect really gets interesting :)  Not to mention the ... colorful metaphors ... he expounds when he's angry.  I remember one night he cursed for almost an hour after his salmon burned on the grill, after a very heated debate with his Polish and Russian friends  :lol:

"do púšte" could very easily translate into the novel ... the sound of the words as you posted is very similar to parts of the languages I envisioned for the elves.  It's sort of a cross between the traditional Tolkien elvish, melded with bits of Germanic (since English is a branch off that tree) and Native American pronunciations.  Native Americans tended to be more vowel oriented (and I say that very VERY loosely), while Germanic languages were more consonant-oriented.  I tried to remain consistent when translating some of the phrases, but fear I may have not done the language due justice.

The focus of the first novel is very much rooted in a desert environment, and the main character is so indoctrinated into that environment that it permeates the majority of his life, including his colloquialisms.  This would make a great addition, and anyone from your area of the world might actually have a chuckle with it.  If I go through with it, I'll have to send you some sample conversations, etc, to ensure I get it right :)

And you'll definitely get a blurb in the dedication now :).  Especially if Outerra lives up to my vision in the near future.  Which, I have no doubt, it will!

Michal

• http://blog.blockhouse-c.com
Desert people
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 12:49:30 pm »

The buzz Outerra generated on flight simulation forums lead me here :)

Abc94

Desert people
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 05:12:39 pm »

I discovered Outerra in the "latest articles" section on the front page of Mod DB early last December.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.