Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Problemmmmmmmm!!!  (Read 7788 times)

konaone

Problemmmmmmmm!!!
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:28:27 pm »

Hello everyone, I made the animations of a model helicopter rotor and notar in the tail.
I imported the helicopter Outerra, now perhaps the most difficult part, how to make it work.
As I said the model has animated the main rotor, the notar and the pedals.
3 ds Max I have not placed the textures (first question is that correct?) and even the materials (correct?) Outerra has its own materials, should be applied when and how?
For those who have not understood the difficulties I have to do all this!!! and unfortunately little time!! Can someone explain step by step how to do? how to make scripts and the various files? Thank you so much!!!

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Problemmmmmmmm!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:46:36 pm »

Uff ... not much in the animation FBX importer at my mind - its something for AngryPig to discuss a little in-depth. Materials given by 3DSMax should be taken by the importer nicely (of course, glass might need some tweak if it isnt transparent, but not much of a problem to change few numbers at the .matlib file in WordPad). As for textures :

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2179.msg23615#msg23615

As for aviation scripting, it uses JSBsim so going trough the basics of it on Aerial Sim pages would be good for it doe some things are explained in the wiki (still not sure if is, or when will be the FBX wiki page section done - AngryP´s work, doe they have some other things on workplan, so it might take a little while - but so more time to get into the JSB :D ) :

http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/trac.fcgi/wiki/Importer

You could too PM DDenn on some things and go trough the posts at his Shavrov plane topic :

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=1281.msg14996#msg14996

Hope it helps some little ... fingers crossed for your work going good on that nice bird !  :)

P.S.: if the animation wont go well at this point of FBX importer well, you can try the Shawrov way - making a script saying to rotate the rotors in some RPM function to a certain "max" RPM and then changing the mesh visibility for a separate, simple plane mesh whyte a "rotor in motion" texture rotating above that "max" RPM value. (many games and sims do it the same way - just download the Shavrov plane for OT and go trough its script, im sure you will find it easily there as i have (and im a noob at scripts :D )).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:53:40 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

konaone

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 06:20:08 pm »

ok, for now I was able to import the heli! as 350, one of many models, I pressed spown and I'm under the fuselage! the engine is stopped and the ride height is wrong.
I followed the pattern of ddenn. an engine folder where I put the file "ah 1srotor new" and "ah1s tail rotor" aircraft on folder AND A "ah1s" then I changed the file OBJDEF: "obj": "Elicottero_as_350"
"matlib": "Elicottero_as_350",
"lod_curve": 850,
"lod_curve1": 300,
"physics": "jsbsim/ah1s"
"script": "Elicottero_as_350.js"
"description": "eurocopter as 350"
"parameters": "",
"fdm_root_dir": ""}

then? ............ the first thing, then I would think to make it fly textures and materials!
tips?
thanks

PytonPago

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:46:40 am »

Well, if you use the AH-scripts, the engine should be on from begining, as there are no turning on procedures yet. The reason for its stop and freezing is that some function(s) doesnt go well, or something is badly defined. The down-screen log says stuff like "cannot find compatible overloaded function" as i see on the image. On the end is the function name, you should compare the AH´s actual script whyte this modified, and look if there isnt a bad file-link direction written (as you hawe made an new folder and renamed the engine prop. files). If you solve one, go on the next and try to reach the point where no such errors are seen in the log (probably will be functional then too). Also check your helis smesh names and if the script has all the parts named corectly in them (so it wont seek model pieces it doesnt have - but should actually write the missing parts in the log too anyway). But you should turn whyte details about aircraft-scripting to ddenn or others (i done just a brief owerlook trough them, im more into the vehicle ones as my model work is done in that direction).

As for the model height, if you use blender, the absolute x, y, z zero position should be the ground, so you should move the whole copter down the grid so that the landing skies are laying on that point. Check too, if some mesh doesnt have its pivot-point beneath the actual model and change it if it is. -- that should do the trick whyte the spawning height (it always worked for me).

The camera position is defined in script too (see the wiki trough for vehicle camera positions - the Shavrov has its camera scripts a little better, as other camera positions are defined too, maybe check that out). Just look at the grid position of the cockpit seat in Blender/3DSMax and define then an approximate position according to it in script. Then the fine-tuning can be done in OT, when playing in the script window whyle in vehicle by reloading the script after small changes in the camera coordinates(mind that it is heading always in y+ vector, so the model has to face that direction too to see up front) ...

As for materials, you can do that part right away, set the glass transparent (in matlib, all the four numbers for it should be way below 1.0 for that) cause it will help much more to set the camera position. Also it has an good psychological effect on you, to have the feeling of sitting in the cockpit while messing whyte scripts around. - doctors advice ! :D

P.S.: The eurocopter looks really nice. Good work on that. Wish you would do the Kamov Kasatka one day.  ;)   ...   And yes, is that Kilimanjaro in the image ?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:49:39 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

konaone

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 01:10:33 pm »

I can not ....... .................

konaone

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:22:33 pm »

>:(
{
   "obj" : "as350_b3",
   "matlib" : "as350_b3",
   "lod_curve" : 850,
   "lod_curve1" : 300,
   "physics" : "jsbsim/ah1z",
   "script" : "as350_b3.js",
   "description" : "eurocopter as 350 b3",
   "parameters" : "",
   "fdm_root_dir" : ""}

konaone

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 01:28:47 pm »

which folder do I change the height from the ground?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 01:57:50 pm »

Where do you have positioned the pivot point of the 3D model?

PytonPago

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 02:28:29 pm »

which folder do I change the height from the ground?

... that is model based, so you have to check the pivot point in Blender/3DSMax program if its in absolute zero position of the grid.

konaone

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 04:13:35 pm »

Ok, Cameni, I moved the pivot! Python and says I pay, I changed the height on the Z!! it works!, when the helicopter falls like a sausage on the ground leans!!
However, as you can see from the need to correct it because it sinks a little.

So what?

below, before groped to fly it I would like to apply materials and textures, but matlib from the file, I see the materials but I can not steer the helicopter to objects, such as glass rotor and fuselage!

PytonPago

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 03:51:53 am »

Just play a little whyte the pivot and grid position and it should work out nicely (but there might be too, that the collision mash made by the importer is a little our of synch or the ground has its colision mesh a little lower than the visible surface too ... just make sure if its not that by putting it on asphalt or on a airfield).

As for the materials, did you separate the model in multiple meshes as needed for animations and stuff ? When yes, try to make a snapshot of the individual meshes materil menus ... (blender shows a tree-type menu whyte its material show next to all the meshes the model composes of).

konaone

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 09:59:03 am »

So I have to apply the textures already in 3ds max? :)

PytonPago

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 10:49:50 am »

So I have to apply the textures already in 3ds max? :)

... yes, bpth textures and materials hawe to be applied to the model in 30DSMax.