Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Help! model goes gray  (Read 8973 times)

Ryan10427

• supporter
Help! model goes gray
« on: December 21, 2013, 02:52:33 pm »

Hello, so im new to importing models and i created a test building in sketchup pro and exported as (.DAE) and all my textures are .DDS and everything went smoothly importing, but when i get close to the model in ufo or gravity mode it gets blurry gray around me,

this is a pic from a distance ( No gray shows)

here is a pic when i get close

Also its not the fog settings because it does not do that with any other models and the settings are untouched..
any help will be appreciated! thanks.

M7

Re: Help! model goes gray
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 07:29:50 pm »

I've imported quite a few models using sketchup DAE. Never seen anything like this. I know i had quite a few other issues using the DAE importer, especially with models imported from google model site. So now i only use FBX to import into outerra.

Ryan10427

• supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 07:44:16 am »

I've imported quite a few models using sketchup DAE. Never seen anything like this. I know i had quite a few other issues using the DAE importer, especially with models imported from google model site. So now i only use FBX to import into outerra.

ill try to re import the same model as FBX and see if it does the same thing

EDIT: i just tried with FBX importer and it made my model way smaller then the original and it still put grey.. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 08:06:41 am by Ryan10427 »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:50:33 am »

ill try to re import the same model as FBX and see if it does the same thing

EDIT: i just tried with FBX importer and it made my model way smaller then the original and it still put grey..

... isnt that some graphics setting (min. draw distance or something of a similar thing) or issue ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

M7

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 11:34:50 am »

For the size of imported FBX model, check in the sketchup export options and change the units. Dont know which one you would need to use but for me centimeters worked most of the time.

As for the gray, you model looks like one big box with minimum geometry. Maybe you could try to add more polygon in there as see if it change anything. I doubt it could be the cause of this issue but never know.

Ryan10427

• supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 02:13:23 pm »

For the size of imported FBX model, check in the sketchup export options and change the units. Dont know which one you would need to use but for me centimeters worked most of the time.

As for the gray, you model looks like one big box with minimum geometry. Maybe you could try to add more polygon in there as see if it change anything. I doubt it could be the cause of this issue but never know.

ill stick with .DAE for now and ill try to add more polygons (this wont be fun)

EDIT: more poly's didnt help -.- and there is no min Draw distance option in graphics or terrain settings
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:24:31 pm by Ryan10427 »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 03:48:53 pm »

EDIT: more poly's didnt help -.- and there is no min Draw distance option in graphics or terrain settings

Yes, there isnt. But i think it aether should be in some OT configuration file or your graphic driver somehow forces it to that distance ... i think there was some similar problem whyte the Cessna textures from inside view a while back ... doesnt the same issue occure for you in some of the vehicles too?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Ryan10427

• supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 04:09:27 pm »

Yes, there isnt. But i think it aether should be in some OT configuration file or your graphic driver somehow forces it to that distance ... i think there was some similar problem whyte the Cessna textures from inside view a while back ... doesnt the same issue occure for you in some of the vehicles too?
ummmmm ill check the config file out but i have no graphic issue inside vehicle's, the only vehicle issue that i have is only two cars i downloaded from the forum fall through the ground but thats a different story ill worry about later, sooo ill get back if i find the min draw distance,

EDIT : yea theres nothing in the eng.cfg
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:13:38 pm by Ryan10427 »

AKNightHawk

• http://www.moddb.com/games/assault-knights-reign-of-steel
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 11:26:24 am »

Hmm Maybe a mipmap problem with the file? Is the texture in DDS format?
Assault Knights:Reign of Steel
Donate to the Assault Knights project
I always think everything is better with mechs.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 05:18:27 am »

Try to subdivide your mesh. It seems to be just a cube. Add some loopcuts.

angrypig

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 03:43:36 pm »

can you show me material parameters?

Ryan10427

• supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:49:35 pm »

don't worry about it.. i haven't got a chance to try and fix it nor do i now for a while it seems to not do it on smaller objects so ill stick with small ones for now and deal with it in the future when i get time

Jagerbomber

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 07:16:40 pm »

Well, yeah.... Even models go gray with age... even if they try to cover it up.  It's inevitable, really.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P