Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: 2D surfaces won't show (total noob in game modeling)  (Read 5217 times)

actionary

2D surfaces won't show (total noob in game modeling)
« on: December 27, 2013, 05:18:24 pm »

Hi,

I'm modeling a rare vintage aircraft and planning to make it available for all to fly.

However, I see that Outerra won't render 2 dimensional surfaces (i.e. surfaces with no wall thickness). It only renders the outer part, but ignores the inner side and behaves as if it's a transparent surface (I hope I made it clear enough).

Am I doing something wrong or is it a rule in game modeling that all surfaces must have 3 dimensions?

Thank you in advance.

Hybodo

Re: 2D surfaces won't show (total noob in game modeling)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 05:50:31 pm »

I think the default Tatra(s) have a couple of 2D surfaces, specifically the one without the bed. The fenders seem to be 2D. Not sure as to how to get them to work ingame though.
i5 760 @ 2.8GHz
4GB DDR3 1600 SDRAM
nVidia 9800GTX+ 512MB

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 07:17:14 pm »

Hi,

I'm modeling a rare vintage aircraft and planning to make it available for all to fly.

However, I see that Outerra won't render 2 dimensional surfaces (i.e. surfaces with no wall thickness). It only renders the outer part, but ignores the inner side and behaves as if it's a transparent surface (I hope I made it clear enough).

Am I doing something wrong or is it a rule in game modeling that all surfaces must have 3 dimensions?

Thank you in advance.

... no you dont do anything wrong there ... OT just renders only one side of the surface normals (no both-sided surfaces) so you have to copy the surface and revert the normal for it (so have the surface twice, each of opposite normal(normal of a face is simply the facing of the primal(rendered) surface, but they call it that way in 3D modelling software)).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

actionary

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 03:51:41 am »

Thank you very much, sir. I'll do as you say.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 07:27:24 am »

Thank you very much, sir. I'll do as you say.
... dont have to "sir" me ... have no beard and old bones yet. :D :D  Be careful doe, you double the mesh vetrs and you can quite fast reach the 34000 limit for OT individual meshes. Better have the reverted normal plane as a separate mesh (saves a lot of trouble when searching and eliminating problems in the model later on as texture application too - had a share of nerves on that kind of stuff scratched out).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

actionary

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 04:31:25 pm »

I was trying to be polite in a foreign language :)

Thank you very much :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:35:19 pm by actionary »

angrypig

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 05:00:33 pm »

... dont have to "sir" me ... have no beard and old bones yet. :D :D  Be careful doe, you double the mesh vetrs and you can quite fast reach the 34000 limit for OT individual meshes. Better have the reverted normal plane as a separate mesh (saves a lot of trouble when searching and eliminating problems in the model later on as texture application too - had a share of nerves on that kind of stuff scratched out).

You probably meant vertices limit per mesh which is 65535... But vertex count in your 3D modeling SW is not exactly the number we use in OT. In OT each vertex with multiple normals has to be split to multiple vertices where each of them has its own normal and UV because GPUs doesn't  support shared vertices data (it's possible to do that in modern GPUs but there are performance penalties).