Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: A Waypoint system?  (Read 5355 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
A Waypoint system?
« on: January 01, 2014, 04:55:54 am »

Can we get a system that allows a waypoint (either visually clicked down or coordinates entered) so that you can follow it to get from point to point. I have the hardest time going from a point in a field to the top of a distant mountain since there is almost no point of reference to navigate.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: A Waypoint system?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 05:16:54 am »

How would it exactly work, what's the use case?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:25:16 am »

OK, here is an example. I send this screenshot to a friend with outerra and we were going to try and drive to the top of the mountain in the far distance behind the front mountain range.

But as soon as we got close enough for it to be out of site we lost our bearings and quit. You would need either a "compass" style system which points a big arrow at where you need to go or have a floating waypoint X that is always on screen showing the marked point and distance. It would be cool to setup a series of these to mark a path you need to follow or the location of points of interest.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:58:13 am »

:P

(or... you know... One that doesn't crash your game when it starts to flip out.  ;D)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:32:29 pm »

Here I found a waypoint screenshot of Planteside2..

The rendered blue slash with 2057m next to it is one of my personal waypoints. If I look away from it the blue indicator will lock to the edge of the screen closest to the point so I know which way to turn to get back quickest.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 03:24:40 pm »

(I wish they'd fix hardly being able to see the waypoint when it's at the top of the radar...)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 04:22:02 pm »

Well do you see the squad waypoint onscreen? It is next to the ammo counter at the bottom.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 04:56:28 pm »

Yeah, but unless they recently fixed it, if a waypoint is all the way at the top, you can only see the very very bottom of the waypoint icon and the rest is cut off.  At least at 1680x1050 16:10

maliha

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 06:51:21 am »

Or for that matter, confiqure any unused key to spawn the any vehicle?