Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Procedural snow?  (Read 11291 times)

Oktyabr

Procedural snow?
« on: January 05, 2014, 02:47:26 am »

Coming from the ARMA community I was excited to find that VBS3 is apparently capable of procedural snow fall, to the extent of accumulating on the ground, impeding foot traffic and even miring vehicles when it is deep enough.  Has there been any consideration towards something similar in the Outerra engine?

Example video:

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Procedural snow?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 03:25:34 am »

Interesting stuff there - some biome ground interaction on vehicles is planned as i know. Also even trailing deformation was discussed somewhere before (in some SpinTires discussion). Maybe they already have something like that in mind ...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:27:08 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:48:15 am »

Indeed, this is awesome! I think that the Outerra team is currently focusing in the lake/river departmant (just my thoughts) , before beautifying things with full biome support and seasonal properties.
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

PytonPago

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:09 am »

Indeed, this is awesome! I think that the Outerra team is currently focusing in the lake/river departmant (just my thoughts) , before beautifying things with full biome support and seasonal properties.

... not sure about that, if rivers should be just a fancier vector based "road", it should not be as much in the way (also i think global data on that will take some longer time to be aether created, or open for use by companies, witch have them already). Think they might hawing still some trouble to accommodate the clouds to Outerras spherical planet, whytle letting the option of local dynamics, its heights, characteristics and reasonable procedural software and HW usage. ... well, guess the eternal questions have to wait a little longer. :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 12:08:47 pm »

The world may never know...

"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 02:11:56 pm »

We model accumulated snow in medem so if outerra does implement a height field water / snow model then we can supply that information to it.

Looking at the video there it doesnt build up on roofs and also doesnt seem to flow in paths where snow slips in avalanche style. We tried to model some of that sort of info so as to determine glaciation processes.

More in the medem gallery.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:18:23 pm by Redrobes »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:14:36 pm »

Oh, speaking of snow...

"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PytonPago

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 03:46:09 am »

So you planned to export the snow like classic height data, whyte a snow biome texture set accordingly  ?
 ----
Nice find Jagerbomber, seems world simulation gets some serious sparkles in these days at cinematic modeling level. Not sure if it would be applicable to a whole world in such detail (would have to reset every time you come back to the region, saving such deformations would be really hard, but maybe in some +years, we will see a Outerra 10.5 ver. whyte all this fancy dynamic environment  :) , but then the term "second world" would gain another meaning - hope they mind-hook me up there when im 85 yrs. old  ;D )

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 04:09:41 am »

Oh, speaking of snow...

Wahooo, yes nice find, thanks for sharing it here ! very impressive
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

PytonPago

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 04:56:50 am »

... while were at 3D tool plugins ... older, but has its dramatics :D

Also a little question - isnt VBRs a pure defence department license sims ? Was lurking around the net about it and i found lot public-restrictions there ... have to admit, that i didnt know about it till yet ...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:05:00 am by PytonPago »

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 05:21:09 am »

Also a little question - isnt VBRs a pure defence department license sims ? Was lurking around the net about it and i found lot public-restrictions there ... have to admit, that i didnt know about it till yet ...

You mean VBS no ?
yes, VBS is the Mil. training and sim soft application developed by Bohemia Interactive... who also develops ARma..
Please see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemia_Interactive_Studio
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

Oktyabr

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 02:35:19 pm »

While they are developed by two different companies now they both, VBS and ARMA, share a common origin, are both currently based on the latest RV4 engine and are more alike, code wise, than they are different.  In essence it's thought that if it can be done in one it should also therefore be possible in the other.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 05:28:05 pm »

That song's from the first NFS:MW  :P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:29:37 pm by Jagerbomber »