Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Outerra Military combined arms simulator?  (Read 12733 times)

ProGamer

Outerra Military combined arms simulator?
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:55:58 pm »

Will any Outerra projects feature a highly realistic earth with realistic weapons and vehicles with non of that stupid arcade or balance stuff that ruins things for many? And without anything like micro-transactions that ruin games and simulators.

The engine looks like a great place to create a military simulator like Virtual Battlespace: http://products.bisimulations.com/vbs3-future-virtual-battlespace But with the potential for more realistic physics and flight models.

What do you think of a combined arms military simulator on the Outerra engine with no balance or arcade elements? Is someone already doing this? There is a huge gap in the market right now for an accesible combined arms simulator/ milsim.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 05:06:34 pm by ProGamer »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Outerra Military combined arms simulator?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:31:18 am »

The engine itself (once ready) certainly won't forbid developers from attempting to create a realistic simulator, so as long as there's a developer willing to go with this type of gamers instead of the widest possible audience, then it may happen.

VBS is designed for professional military simulation, I guess nobody would want an arcade simulator for the military use. There's lots of interest from military circles to use OT, which may lead to a specialized product. But in the consumer space it's a relatively niche area, just like in all other simulator areas - the user base is relatively small yet quite demanding, which is why it's not a crowded space.
What I see more probable is a game project that would be a spinoff from the commercial military solution, after some time when everything runs well and stable. We at Outerra are leaning towards realism and simulators and various niche areas, but of course we have to look to keep ourselves in the business first.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58:17 am »

Well if you gather all 347 Niche gaming areas together you get one hell of a marketplace. That is going to be the OT legacy. Ice Cream Truck Simulator 2016 should be running on OT right next to military, racing, hunting, boating and aircraft simulations. All those games you know have like 5,000 followers worldwide combined on a single platform and with the possibility to merge the worlds you love.. Makes me tingle.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:31:09 pm »

Ice Cream Truck Simulator 2016 should be running on OT right next to military, racing, hunting, boating and aircraft simulations.

Close...

;D 8)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 02:25:52 am »

That looks more like a post-apocalyptic ice cream simulator. :D :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:21:07 pm »

I've got a video of it blowing up if you want to see.  :P 8) (language)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:23:15 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ProGamer

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 02:28:23 pm »

[Delete]

(I though the two posts would merge into one automatically.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:45:04 pm by ProGamer »

ProGamer

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 02:31:48 pm »

Well if you gather all 347 Niche gaming areas together you get one hell of a marketplace. That is going to be the OT legacy. Ice Cream Truck Simulator 2016 should be running on OT right next to military, racing, hunting, boating and aircraft simulations. All those games you know have like 5,000 followers worldwide combined on a single platform and with the possibility to merge the worlds you love.. Makes me tingle.

By Military simulator, I mean a naval sim, an aircraft sim, a spy satellite sim, an infantry sim, a ground asset sim, and a simulation of civilian elements. Along with possible survival elements for things like pilots shot down in the middle of nowhere and rescue simulation for recovery of injured, shot down and lost people and AI.

Essentially a copy of the real world that could be used to act out possible WW3 scenarios with other players and AI or to act out current wars and conflicts. These wars/conflicts could rage on for months in game with persistent servers.

One of the things needed for this is using real world data to build cities, airports, roads, railways other infrastructure and man made objects. Along with weather data to simulate currents, and to determine the temperature and weather patterns based on the time of the year.

The engine itself (once ready) certainly won't forbid developers from attempting to create a realistic simulator, so as long as there's a developer willing to go with this type of gamers instead of the widest possible audience, then it may happen.

VBS is designed for professional military simulation, I guess nobody would want an arcade simulator for the military use. There's lots of interest from military circles to use OT, which may lead to a specialized product. But in the consumer space it's a relatively niche area, just like in all other simulator areas - the user base is relatively small yet quite demanding, which is why it's not a crowded space.
What I see more probable is a game project that would be a spinoff from the commercial military solution, after some time when everything runs well and stable. We at Outerra are leaning towards realism and simulators and various niche areas, but of course we have to look to keep ourselves in the business first.

One of the problems is accessibility and cost. There is no current military simulator that is accessible and reasonable priced for the simulation gaming market. The demand for such a game would be relatively unknown as a result. Most developers try to ride on the wave of demand created by large companies. The closest accessible and cost effect combined arms military simulation would be a modded version of an Arma game. But the problems with that is the developers have decided to not associate Arma with the term sim anymore, and as a result mods suffer from lack of engine support causing bad performance and features that are impossible to implement.

The problem with those "sim" games is that they are mostly "SimCade". The other fact you have to understand is that very few games exist that can merge all types of military combat simulations together. No sim game can have combat on a 1:1 scale earth either.

You really do seem like your not a sim player and as a result try to claim there is not enough players. I would advise you find credible sources to back up your assumption of too few players. Understand that Military simulation is not just guns and vehicles, but also supply lines, civilians, ICBMs, construction, medical, naval and many other simulation types all rolled into one. Instead of riding on the wave of demand for arcade games, we should create demand for more realistic games.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:57:24 pm by ProGamer »

aposter

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 07:52:59 pm »

The first thing I thought when I saw the Outerra engine was "this is how Arma 3 should have looked like". Infact the engine gave me a very Operation Flashpoint-esque feel, with it's military vehicles, aircraft (Cessna, Apache), trees, ground textures, a "clean", realistic look, massive worlds, ect. Don't missunderstand me, I'm a fan of the Arma series (OFP in particular) and it's "Real Virtuality" engine (which may have some issues like poor multi-threading support and other things, but it's incredibly flexible, moddable and upgradable), however sound competition is always a good thing, especially considering the state of things in the realism-focused military shooter/sim genre.

So my opinion is that the Outerra engine should deff. be considered for making a massive military type game focused on realism. Picture a kind of "virtual war" scenario that would take place across the whole globe, in areas modeled after the real locations and a persistent, ever-changing online world, where new content would be added by a highly moddable engine but also via official DLC content by the makers, where the core game would be free but the said expansions would keep the project going, where you would choose your fraction or nation for which you would fight for, where international borders would be written anew, where armed resistance to existing regimes would arise, where there would be a kind of "strategic map" where you could choose strategic options and combat engagement and view the global situations unfold, where servers could host thousands of players at once, where one could choose to be a mercenary for a certain fraction or nation, where there would be tons of different military vehicles and weapons to choose from, ect.

Kinda like what World War II Online is but with the Outerra engine and all it's advantages and a present-day scenario. Imagine fighting an imaginary war in the Crimea region, in Syria, in Sudan, ect., where every world nation and conflict locations would be appropriately represented. It would take the term "Virtual War" to a whole new level, especially if one would consider full compatibility with the emerging VR devices like the Oculus Rift and Cyberith Virtualizer.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:00:30 pm by aposter »

aposter

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 05:42:26 am »

Something of interest:

ProGamer

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »

The first thing I thought when I saw the Outerra engine was "this is how Arma 3 should have looked like". Infact the engine gave me a very Operation Flashpoint-esque feel, with it's military vehicles, aircraft (Cessna, Apache), trees, ground textures, a "clean", realistic look, massive worlds, ect. Don't missunderstand me, I'm a fan of the Arma series (OFP in particular) and it's "Real Virtuality" engine (which may have some issues like poor multi-threading support and other things, but it's incredibly flexible, moddable and upgradable), however sound competition is always a good thing, especially considering the state of things in the realism-focused military shooter/sim genre.

So my opinion is that the Outerra engine should deff. be considered for making a massive military type game focused on realism. Picture a kind of "virtual war" scenario that would take place across the whole globe, in areas modeled after the real locations and a persistent, ever-changing online world, where new content would be added by a highly moddable engine but also via official DLC content by the makers, where the core game would be free but the said expansions would keep the project going, where you would choose your fraction or nation for which you would fight for, where international borders would be written anew, where armed resistance to existing regimes would arise, where there would be a kind of "strategic map" where you could choose strategic options and combat engagement and view the global situations unfold, where servers could host thousands of players at once, where one could choose to be a mercenary for a certain fraction or nation, where there would be tons of different military vehicles and weapons to choose from, ect.

Kinda like what World War II Online is but with the Outerra engine and all it's advantages and a present-day scenario. Imagine fighting an imaginary war in the Crimea region, in Syria, in Sudan, ect., where every world nation and conflict locations would be appropriately represented. It would take the term "Virtual War" to a whole new level, especially if one would consider full compatibility with the emerging VR devices like the Oculus Rift and Cyberith Virtualizer.

The Arma 3 developers said Arma 3 is directed more towards a non sim audience. They tried to completely remove the term "sim" to go with the game. They are aiming for the battlefield audience who likes things to be slightly more realistic. Arma 3 is as much competition to sims made with Outerra as Forza is to Assetto Corsa.

With Outerra we could have wars going on in a persistent world, no restrictions other than what is realistic. Weapons would be as deadly as real life and have the same real life ranges.

A lot of games try to hit the sweet spot for effort vs reward. This can become very addicting if done right. But a new trend of gamers have gotten fed up with the current direction of games.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:43:14 pm by ProGamer »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 03:45:57 am »

The Arma 3 developers said Arma 3 is directed more towards a non sim audience. They tried to completely remove the term "sim" to go with the game. They are aiming for the battlefield audience who likes things to be slightly more realistic. Arma 3 is as much competition to sims made with Outerra as Forza is to Assetto Corsa.

With Outerra we could have wars going on in a persistent world, no restrictions other than what is realistic. Weapons would be as deadly as real life and have the same real life ranges.

A lot of games try to hit the sweet spot for effort vs reward. This can become very addicting if done right. But a new trend of gamers have gotten fed up with the current direction of games.

Like that thinking ... i still wait till cameni comes to the black box and a person animation template - im sure things get created/modded in that direction once these special tools are on the table (and the other prog. languages scripting of course).

If thats ture about Arma´s heading, its sad, that those czech guys getting out of sim-currents, doe, who knows, maybe they've been driven that way by some means. But i have to say, for a next-gen massive all-spectrum simulator, there is a lot of things to get into. Just like trying to make it as real to shoot ones trucks wheel and being able to change it when in safety, In BTRs, how the inner room dynamics have to be (you cant give there a mans sitting in firing position just rotating around whyte the guns heading - witch many just think switch whyte a limited FPcamera to get rid of that problem) whyle maintaining the model hi-def and all-LOD workable. True too, that old tech would have to be done (so around till 80s) cause of lack of info for the vehicles and their systems by being still secret or kept on to maintain an slight edge on the real world arms-trades. Big deal would be also the scenario - someone would have to go really pushing the standards for that realism by putting things into historically correct and possibly politically free view on them. There is not much still de-classified about most of cold-war happenings. Trying to topple recent ones, like yugoslavia/chechnya in this direction would be possibly starting a huge crackdown on the devs by propaganda efforts (in all its vast forms) by keeping some things (even doe maybe known already) silenced and demonizing/glorifying someones side. - Try to sell a real-sim scenario by remaining us trading weapons to the contras to hold up the hostages till elections in US or theyr connection to certain groups in chechnya when theyr still big on the "war on terror", or showing consequences of massive corruption in the former soviet states ending up in pre-planed massive murders and convoy traps. That stuff needs clear heads and a well covered back ...   --- not to mention, that a full scenatio-simulation isnt much of a free-play run. The game "Trought of the 9-company" was a good show of that. (aldo its true, that in army, you just follow commands as a normal soldier like that). You had to probably keep focus on the blurry edges of main battles, where not much things are generally known or not much people would point fingers to inconsistencies.  Im not telling, its impossible to do correctly a scenario like attack on Grozny from the Pskovsk division sight, certain yugoslavia war events, or storming the "whyte building". Only that it may prove to be a quite some effort to get it right and keep a real playing feeling in it. (you know, shell shocks arent much nice things aether, making traumatic events like that realistic isnt just a COD style storyline execution - psychology has to be in line whyte such things too). --- but i wont say i wouldnt like to see that kind of sim coming out one day, learning real military tactics, physics necessityes (for artillery and other systems) and a little history fact on the way. --- In this way, WWII "reenactments" were much easyer (and there are already tons of first person stories told by veterans too) than a modern scenario. Maybe the russian-afgan war or Vietnam/Korea conflicts could go, but a lot of things would be angering people anyway (a lot of dark history for both sides is there anyway) ... but seems to me too, that the world would need a real "reenactment military full spectrum simulator" as salt somewhere at the 21 century gaming scene.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:51:43 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.