Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Rivers "water roads"  (Read 6914 times)

GodotWaits

• What say you?
Rivers "water roads"
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:24:21 am »

Hi all,

Can't get enough of this engine/game, really looking forward to all the possibilities. It's persuaded me to take up an interest and hobby in 3D modelling and hopefully at some point I'll be able to contribute to the community here.  ;)

I'm curious about the possibility of creating rivers as I'd like to recreate my home town. I've looked through the forum and the latest thread I can find hasn't been updated since around this time last year. There are talks of implementing rivers with a similar system to the roads. Is there any news on this?

GodotWaits
Well then, until our next meeting.

Tipster

• Work hard, play harder.
    • Sandstone Paradise
Re: Rivers "water roads"
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:25:51 pm »

I'm also rather curious about this. :) Rivers seem like they would add a huge amount of aesthetic beauty, and realism to the world. I'm sure more than a few of us would love to hear an update on how the river implementation is going. :)

Either way, fantastic work so far guys, I was sold within 5 minutes of poking around in the demo version. You are doing great work, keep it up!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 02:48:17 pm »

In addition to bug fixing for the next release, I'm working on a status report with info about how things are progressing and what can be expected ;)

Tipster

• Work hard, play harder.
    • Sandstone Paradise
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 02:54:40 pm »

Awesome! Looking forward to reading up on all the incredible stuff you guys are accomplishing! Thanks for the update Cameni, it is always nice to have such direct contact with the developers on a project. :)

Jonez69

• Are you not entertained?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 11:28:39 pm »

The biggest update I'm looking forwards, is the addition of rivers and lakes.
It's kind of sad seeing Finland, "the land of a thousand lakes", as just... a land of no lakes at all ;D

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:06:38 am »

In addition to bug fixing for the next release, I'm working on a status report with info about how things are progressing and what can be expected ;)

Awesome! The Cloud update is amazing and a really fantastic start, I love to just glide around in and out trough clouds. --- wow, that sounded a bit, ehm --- Well, anyway. Looking forward to seeing these clouds reflect in the rivers and cast shadows on the ground ;) Always wanting more!

But yes, Rivers the most noticeable missing data at the moment.
Cognitive Scientist - VR Enthusiast - Immersion Junkie - UX Professional - Flight Sim Enthusiast - Amateur Musician - Amateur Actor - Semi-old Soul - Caffeine Addict - INFP

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:37:08 am »

If you want to place a few lakes and even rivers, there is a cool temporary solution thanks to KW71:

Water Mesh
and
Chapala Lake Mesh

Note that the second one is massive, you can fill really big surfaces using it:

I have used the water mesh a lot on my Talkeetna scene, it's hard to place to get a consistent results, but it's a good solution 'til we get real rivers :)

Yeah!  :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:54:10 am by Acetone »