Author Topic: ReRoll  (Read 6115 times)

Jagerbomber

ReRoll
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:06:45 pm »

Uh oh... Again...

Maybe?... whatever
http://rerollgame.com/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:08:44 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: ReRoll
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 03:22:39 am »

The SAAB mapping way flooded the world. :D  Doe, seems to use no laser-rangefinders, just the camera gyro and internal coordinate calculation. And they possibly will have a lot of corrections to do, if it will take few years. (1pixel - 3cm in terrain -- 5cm terrain mapping accuracy) - interested, what kind of scale they will pick. But probably stick to what their shown in the vid. But the eBee seems a nice way of pre-mapping construction sites or checking on progress white-in the limit of 10 km square.

But overall, it looks more like a promo project for the drone use. Am sure that Google map will look like that mountain in a few years time too.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:15:48 am »

Ambitious project this one!
However 3D reconstruction from photos is not new, there are many companies already doing this, and with better qualities than what Pix4d is doing.
The level of detail is relative to the distance and photos res.
It is already quite easy to reconstruct a 3D street with very high LOD. Of course the model needs to be cleaned and reworked a bit but the results are quite impressive.
BTW Saab's technology was bought by Apple last year or in 2012; we had a thread somewhere here talking about that; Apple plans to compete with Google Earth.

This is something I'd like OT to address and/or show us, how does the engine perform with such datas?
It is quite easy, for the OT team, to obtain a good LOD city model with textures... as it is easy to get a precise DTM for a part of the world... I think it is something I'd like to see in 2014.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

PytonPago

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 03:05:54 pm »

Ambitious project this one!
However 3D reconstruction from photos is not new, there are many companies already doing this, and with better qualities than what Pix4d is doing.
The level of detail is relative to the distance and photos res.
It is already quite easy to reconstruct a 3D street with very high LOD. Of course the model needs to be cleaned and reworked a bit but the results are quite impressive.
BTW Saab's technology was bought by Apple last year or in 2012; we had a thread somewhere here talking about that; Apple plans to compete with Google Earth.

This is something I'd like OT to address and/or show us, how does the engine perform with such datas?
It is quite easy, for the OT team, to obtain a good LOD city model with textures... as it is easy to get a precise DTM for a part of the world... I think it is something I'd like to see in 2014.

Hmm ... still, if not real world needed, i think a procedural approach would be better. Cant imagine the amount of data it would take for all buildings on earth - also will last to a decade to do all needed for such mapping. But, would be interesting, if google or apple would have them in separate data-layer and possible to share it - that way, it would need just a special correction (height data will probably not match by most cases) and just get it downloaded, just like terrain data from OTs server or google-map data for the mini-map. Yes, naive as hell, that they would do such a thing, but would be a nice way to work up such urban data.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

DeanosBeano

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 05:38:19 pm »

Hmm
  Dayz without zombie sounds good
  Planet size playground sounds excellent

Mapping earth 1km at a time with a uav  , sounds like student dreaming or I misheard it lol ?

PytonPago

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:30:49 am »

Mapping earth 1km at a time with a uav  , sounds like student dreaming or I misheard it lol ?

1O square Km for this system ... but the range and etc. will rise in future years, as autonomous UAVs in sky in next decade. Can imagine certain world parts be monitored this way weekly/daily as part of other projects (mostly security - surely mil. bases and theyr surroundings are planned in more nations to do such things) - would not be much surprised if London where the first to do such a thing.

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 07:02:53 am »

I agree that having the full planet with such 3D datas (obtained from photogrametry or Lidar, or from any other process) is a bit futuristic...
However it's what GoogleEarth is already doing, even if the quality and LOD are bad, it's available in Gearth for some cities or specific parts of the world.
For any simulation purpose, it is quite obvious that we need to have our world(s) populated with man made stuff.

I feel that a mix of such "real" 3D datas, cleaned and modified/optimized,
to allow some procedural calculations/propagations on them, would be the best.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

PytonPago

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:12:25 am »

I feel that a mix of such "real" 3D datas, cleaned and modified/optimized,
to allow some procedural calculations/propagations on them, would be the best.

Hmm ... software's of different devs. already can "generate" fairly interesting city-layouts from an aerial downward photo or vector-road data. Maybe, if you could generate the whole earths buildings and add an "modify" function, where you could hand-pick a building and swap it for your own model ... that may be the way (whyle having the option to have - stripped Earth/whyte urban layouts and hiding buildings procedurally generated (so that roads and mod stuff is visible - maybe even a turn on/off for vector road-data too) ).