Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wooden Framed Crate  (Read 14172 times)

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
Wooden Framed Crate
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:09:17 am »

Here is a pointless Crate & Barrel for all your stacking needs!

Well... the Treasure Chest aint so pointless I guess...

All we need now is some physics and a wall of crates for all out vehicle smashing carnage. Oh yeah, don't ask what's in the crates :)

Yeah I know, I'm a cheap skate, yeah a crate woohoo! This was my test piece, just making sure I could get something imported into Outerra properly.

Download Outerra Model Packages:
http://www.paulmoffat.net/files/outerra/models/crate/Crate.PaulMoffat.otx
http://www.paulmoffat.net/files/outerra/models/barrel/Barrel.PaulMoffat.otx
http://www.paulmoffat.net/files/outerra/models/treasure_chest/TreasureChest.PaulMoffat.otx

Download Blender Files:
http://www.paulmoffat.net/files/outerra/models/crate/PM_20140207_Crate.zip
http://www.paulmoffat.net/files/outerra/models/barrel/PM_20140208_Barrel.zip
http://www.paulmoffat.net/files/outerra/models/treasure_chest/PM_20140209_TreasureChest.zip

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:27:01 am by PaulMoffat »
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Wooden Framed Crate
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 10:17:52 am »

Better than no crates at all. Most classic titles start with a good solid crate. Just look at Half Life 2.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 04:25:04 pm »

Better than no crates at all. Most classic titles start with a good solid crate. Just look at Half Life 2.

Well, we have to ship somehow all those goodies stuff and pirate booty ... oh, we need barrels for salted meat and mead. And treasure chests ! We cant expect people to carry them gold n diamonds in some crates like all those bank paper nonsense!  --- Just think at that stereotype beauty!

;D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 05:39:46 pm »

Get goin'...
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 05:42:02 pm »

Well, we have to ship somehow all those goodies stuff and pirate booty ... oh, we need barrels for salted meat and mead. And treasure chests ! We cant expect people to carry them gold n diamonds in some crates like all those bank paper nonsense!  --- Just think at that stereotype beauty!

;D

Barrels and treasure-chests ay matey? If those you need, simple jobs for ye simple men. I am your man. :P
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 05:44:54 pm »

Get goin'...

lol you want all of those? Hey is that Crash Bandicoot???

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 10:10:09 pm »

Of course it is.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 05:11:52 am »

Hey PytonPago I created ya a barrel (see original post). I'm quite a noob at UV unwrapping so I'm not even going to admit how long it took me to create it. I was also banging my head against the Outerra importer for a while until I realised it hated my DDS files because they were missing an alpha-channel.

Hmm... now the Treasure chest I guess.

PytonPago

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 08:40:55 am »

Hey PytonPago I created ya a barrel (see original post). I'm quite a noob at UV unwrapping so I'm not even going to admit how long it took me to create it. I was also banging my head against the Outerra importer for a while until I realized it hated my DDS files because they were missing an alpha-channel.

Hmm... now the Treasure chest I guess.

ARRRR ! Thats the spirit lad ! Just the right size for my sea trip lunch ration ! :D  ;D Damn fast and good job ! Can wait, till OT gives us a chance to load some trucks n ships whyte them. (hmm, i really should start to build a crane after my stuffs are done)

Yes, UV textures may be a little tricky for the beginning. That will come white some practice ... more complex models are a pain whyte that, but there are ways to deal whyte it ...

Also, if there will be later in OT a possibility to change textures from a set (just like aircraft camo-patterns at Lock-On, etc.) that just switches the texture-links in the matlib file - there will be no need to do multiple models just whyte other textures.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:57:00 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

CaptJack92a

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 02:45:32 pm »

HE BEAT ME TO IT!

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 06:07:47 pm »

Quote from: PytonPago
Also, if there will be later in OT a possibility to change textures from a set (just like aircraft camo-patterns at Lock-On, etc.) that just switches the texture-links in the matlib file - there will be no need to do multiple models just whyte other textures.

This is possible. Just copy the .mtl file, tweak the file, rename it and change the .objdef file which has to point on the new material file. After restarting OT the new skin will be loaded.

You can also copy the .objdef and .mtl and create several instances of the same mesh, without copying the mesh.

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 04:25:32 am »

Here is the Treasure Chest. (see original post)

Featuring a locking clasp with rusty padlock, two side handles and double rear hinges. When objects within OT can be interacted with I will try putting some animation into this allowing the lid to open/close. Hopefully it will be possible to store other objects without them flipping out and bouncing around the place like some objects do in games like Skyrim when ya try and stack'em.

I actually really enjoyed making this, I'm not exactly sure why. For some reason it put me in a really good state of mind. I even figured out a new modelling technique in Blender when dealing with the curved lid of the chest which is always good thing. I'm also pretty stoked about how the padlock came out. I guess 3D modelling is something that I could actually really get into to be honest.

I made these not just because PytonPago suggested, but also to give me a purpose with the limited modelling ability I have. It actually gave me an incentive to finish it unlike all the other half-arsed incomplete models I've attempted in the past when I was just mucking around learning and such.

I am actually glad I have found Outerra and all you guys/ladies. I really want to get involved here and start adding to the ever growing library of Outerra 3D models. I just have to improve my skill a bit I know. Add a little more attention to detail and accuracy to my models, especially when I get to the major goals I have which is to design a Boat (Sail Catamaran), Aircraft/Spacecraft (UFO Flying Saucer) and Land Vehicle (of some type - undecided).

Thanks for the challenge PytonPago, even if you were not entirely serious :)

DeanosBeano

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 04:53:19 am »

Great suff :)

they look fantastic quality too , i am new here and  loving it as well, the scripting is new to me but wow its powerful stuff.
 maybe later we can add actions to static objects  like open doors or Lids :) , for now we can practice by importing as a vehicle though which is cheap workaround but adds to learning curve .

Or maybe we can add already scripts to static but i didnt see it.

PytonPago

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 04:56:51 am »

When objects within OT can be interacted with I will try putting some animation into this allowing the lid to open/close. Hopefully it will be possible to store other objects without them flipping out and bouncing around the place like some objects do in games like Skyrim when ya try and stack'em.

... there should be a collision mesh for objects later on too, Cameni and Angry will handle that in time - maybe as the black box comes out ...

I actually really enjoyed making this, I'm not exactly sure why. For some reason it put me in a really good state of mind. ..... I guess 3D modelling is something that I could actually really get into to be honest.

All modellers have a common driving force ... seems that the force of creation took interest in you too.  ;)

Thanks for the challenge PytonPago, even if you were not entirely serious :)

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 04:30:36 am »

The Blender files for the models are now available (see first post). From this point forward all models I provide in the future will also have their corresponding Blender files for download as well in case someone here may find it useful for what ever reason.

All models and files are free to use and modify and to do with whatever you want. Just be nice to them, I promise, they are all well house trained and obedient :)
Pages: [1] 2