Outerra Engine > FAQ

Engine Specifics

<< < (3/6) > >>

cameni:
There's no Outerra networking server. Networking is something that's independent of the rendering engine and will also depend on the type of the game.

ChookWantan:
Ah, that makes much more sense  :P

Klugschwätzer:
Don't get me wrong. The idea for an engine that mirrors an entire planet is splendid. I really hate those 50m wide levels where I feel kind of trapped all the time.

But the engine atm looks very sterile somehow. Probably because everything is procedural and cloned.

Do you plan to change that? By overlaying an additional layer with random noise (like in a field of gras there are patches of flowers here that are missing over there, or patches of deep green gras at the bottom of a valley where there is more water than on a steep climb, or undergrowth in the forrests, or random pools, streams and so fort). The engine sure is great and looks great, but only from far away so far.

Thanks for your time.

cameni:
Well it's not fault of it being procedural, but of it not being procedural enough :)

At the moment there are several detail levels that are missing, and biomes and variety within the biomes (at 500-1000m scale) are missing more than the ground level detail you speak of. But yes, eventually there will be more detail at that scale as well. Vegetation, but also things like rocks and terrain fault lines etc. It will derive from the biome data, so that's why these must come first.

Klugschwätzer:
Splendid. Looking forward to seeing it in action.
Then all we need are some physics like seen here:
.. and then we have the perfect sandbox game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version