Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Issue with flickering shading and black boxes on objects.  (Read 7213 times)

Planets

Issue with flickering shading and black boxes on objects.
« on: February 10, 2014, 05:59:56 pm »

Hi, so I just started playing Outerra again since I got a new PC that can actually run it now.

Problem is, from the start I noticed as soon as I moved the mouse the horizontal shadows/shading on the hanger would flicker and change rapidly, and black squares would pop up really quickly then disappear.

This happens with any object I spawn, the horizontal lines appear everywhere at random, a mere move of the mouse in any direction causes them to shift around but still appear, I can't figure it out. I'm playing with default graphics settings, linear (flat) screen projection etc. So far the black squares only appear when I spawn the Hanger or look at the hangers already there. But these horizontal, shading lines appear on every object surface.

I would be grateful if someone could help me fix this, it's incredibly jarring and I can't pin down the cause either.

I've provided some screenshots of the issue and a screen of my PC/game specs as well, if that could help.

Black box caught in the act of its devilry

Inconsistent horizontal bands

PC/game info

Ryan10427

• supporter
Re: Issue with flickering shading and black boxes on objects.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:11:45 pm »

I'd go and see if your graphic driver's need some updating. that's what most people are gonna suggest.. if so update and try again.

Planets

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:50:18 pm »

I'd go and see if your graphic driver's need some updating. that's what most people are gonna suggest.. if so update and try again.

Wow.. That completely fixed the problem, I was under the impression that my AMD drivers were fully updated but I guess AMD Catalyst doesn't notify of that.

Well in any case I'm relieved that it fixed the problem, you were right indeed about that. Thank you.

I guess I could delete the thread now, or can leave it open in case anyone else has this issue but doesn't think to update drivers?

Ryan10427

• supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:52:05 pm »

haha well that's good. and its up to you.  ;D

Planets

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:13:31 pm »

Well actually I have some other queries I was wondering I could get some help with?

I remember being able to lock an object like a ship in place but now I can't seem to be able to and they always start sinking into the ground. Is this just because of a new change and you can't lock objects anymore, I search on the forums, google etc and can't seem to find anything about it.

Yet I remember a few years ago locking the ship and sinking it under the terrain with just its radar mast showing so I could make some sort of futuristic tower, I can't seem to be able to do that now, it just sinks into the ground as soon as I exit the menu.

Pic to show what I mean. Soon as I go back ingame it starts sinking, theres no way to lock it in place.

The reverse also holds true in water, trying to sink it will instead raise it back up once I exit the object placement menu.

In the distance you can see the half sunken ships, I'm assuming they sink into the terrain until they find water which is why on the default start location they sink below the map.

Any way to just lock them in place? I swear I remember being able to do that when I first tried Outerra a while ago.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:17:17 pm by Planets »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 01:23:19 am »

Only static objects can be positioned as you need them vertically, but vehicles will always react. In the next version I added the possibility to place vehicle as a static object, but it's wasteful to sink the whole ship just to see the mast as something else :)

Planets

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 06:49:16 am »

Only static objects can be positioned as you need them vertically, but vehicles will always react. In the next version I added the possibility to place vehicle as a static object, but it's wasteful to sink the whole ship just to see the mast as something else :)

Thanks for replying! I actually remembered I also used the lock function to place helicopters on the decks of the warships because they would just sink right through otherwise, and also if I want to have a sinking ship or already sunken ship on the bottom of the seabed for a kind of diorama/scenario etc then it was fun to roll the ship over, sink it under and have it stay that way.

Of course I could be remembering it wrong, or the ship wasn't added as a vehicle yet and it was just there as a static object so I was able to lock it in place then?

Either way I'm happy to see it's coming in the next version, this game is seriously incredible. :D