Outerra Engine > FAQ

General

<< < (2/4) > >>

Webbstre:

--- Quote from: cameni on March 22, 2012, 02:16:00 am ---
--- Quote from: Webbstre on March 17, 2012, 10:09:51 am ---How far is the engine intended to go as far as living things? Once all the terrain stuff is taken care of I'd love to see things like ecosystems and people and all sorts of things to interact with. Kind of like the original intentions behind Spore's development.

--- End quote ---
That's probably more game-specific, but of course needs some support form the engine. Once the terrain and biomes are right, we'll surely think about it.

--- End quote ---

Woohoo! I'll still be around when that time comes ;)

Ice Cold Killa:
How come you guys don't use DirectX? I heard it's better than OpenGL

cameni:
The only thing better with DirectX was the driver support, but OpenGL is finally getting better here. But it was bad back then, to the point that we contemplated porting it over to DirectX. The engine was initially built with possibility to use a DirectX back end, but as the situation got better we abandoned the idea, as it would be costly.

OpenGL gives us the possibility to create a portable app running on Mac and Linux machines as well. This is more important for use of OT in other, non-game environments, but also with the rise of tablets and non-Microsoft operating systems in the future.

Bluetwoo:
Will there be MMO support (client/server) in Outerra engine?

cameni:
Not any kind of universal MMO support (or not anytime soon). That's something developers would want to implement using other libraries that are specialized on massive networking and suitable for their particular game design.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version