Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Is this a game engine or just a game?  (Read 3577 times)

SPEKTRE76

Is this a game engine or just a game?
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:39:33 pm »

I want to develop a WW2 flight combat simulator that takes place in the Pacific theater. Can this be done with this engine alone or do I need more stuff. Right now I have Unity Pro and uFS Flight Simulation. No code is needed to run uFS.

I like the world rendering capabilities of this. It would allow me to make the sim the first open world combat flight simulator. The online games would be absolutely insane. You could chase your opponents to the ends of the Earth, literally, fuel permitting.

or is this just a game that allows MOD's? I want to know before I spend any money.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Is this a game engine or just a game?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:03:10 pm »

It is access to a game engine that will allow mods.. And the first "game" Anteworld is simply a test bed so other games can be built off of the engine.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

SPEKTRE76

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:38:06 pm »

So, I can develop a game from this then? Meaning I won't need another engine to create it? I want to make something like War Thunder but not an MMO. Juts an open world online all the time combat flight simulator. I'd really like to see how this engine renders the Solomon Islands. I will be be buying tomorrow to find out.

Any tutorials on how to get started on getting a plane in the engine?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:17:42 am »

The SDK is coming (eventually) so when it comes out it will be a lot easier. Yes you can add a model with plane or vehicle physics. Search the mods section.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

SpaceFlight

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:45:10 am »

I want to develop a WW2 flight combat simulator that takes place in the Pacific theater. Can this be done with this engine alone or do I need more stuff. Right now I have Unity Pro and uFS Flight Simulation. No code is needed to run uFS.

I like the world rendering capabilities of this. It would allow me to make the sim the first open world combat flight simulator. The online games would be absolutely insane. You could chase your opponents to the ends of the Earth, literally, fuel permitting.

or is this just a game that allows MOD's? I want to know before I spend any money.

You can't develop a game with the 15€ base game. You can add 3D models, but that's about it for now.
With the 15€ you are buying: access to the alpha engine with updates and the game "Anteworld" with updates, which is still far away.
Will the SDK be free? I don't know (maybe for non-commercial purposes?), but you would have to ask Cameni or Angrypig for a specific answer. There may be some kind of a licensing model for it though.
There are a few secret commercial projects going on with the OT engine, but they are secret.   :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:47:21 am by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan