Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Rift + Myo Ironman-like integration (video inside!)  (Read 4275 times)

benr

Rift + Myo Ironman-like integration (video inside!)
« on: February 14, 2014, 02:51:55 pm »

Hi Everyone!

At Thalmic Labs we're big fans of the immersive nature of the Outerra world with the Oculus Rift and have spent some time tinkering with it on the side.

We're interested in building a demo that lets users combine the Oculus Rift with two Myo armbands (http://www.thalmic.com/myo) to fly around the Outerra world (in first-person) like Ironman .  Since we have our hands full perfecting our gesture control technology, we’d love for some of you great builders in the Outerra community to help us bring this demo to life!

We’re looking for someone to build a flying human model that can be used for the basis of this demo.  We'd also want the flying dynamics to be controlled by the Myos (1 per arm), so some sort of dual propulsion would be ideal (you can think of the Myos as 2 joysticks, each with a bunch of buttons on them).

We’re offering two free Myos (one for each arm :) to whoever can build these models and give them Ironman-like flight properties (we’ll take care of the Myo integration), and we’d love to feature your models in a promo video that celebrates Rift + Myo and the amazing possibilities that come from combining these technologies with the Outerra world.

If you're interested in helping out, please e-mail scott.greenberg@thalmic.com

This video was made in an afternoon just to illustrate the concept and isn't an actual integration yet.  But with your help, we’d love to make it a reality :)

Sincerely,

Ben, Scott and the Thalmic team

DeanosBeano

Re: Rift + Myo Ironman-like integration (video inside!)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »

feel free to use the Alien addon in the vehicle release thread :)
 its made by Smithy217 and is  CC =Zero
 if you want me to change somethings  i can do that for you no problem , if your looking for 100% made by someone with full rights  i understand completely , My price is a Drink with the blonde lol ;)

here he /she is :)
http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/66561

maybe it will even work with SKis this arm band ?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:31:46 pm by DeanosBeano »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 05:04:18 pm »

Are you using the in-game recorder and then REALLY compressing it because the pixelation is tremendous on your videos. They are 720p but wow. They need a quality boost.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 02:27:43 am »

There will be a [noembed][/noembed] in the next Outerra build, with a couple of animations for walking and running. But to fully exploit this thing it would need a proper IK integration with the animation system for the future, when it can be used for interaction with the environment.

Hm, it would be nice to control the walking/running with this too, simply recognizing various gestures. Outstretched arms could activate the flying mode, with a short transition while the character speeds up running on the ground. Other gestures for controlling the speed and direction of walking/running ... I guess we need to find the capabilities of this device first :)

As for the integration, you could implement an input plugin for OT, but currently it's designed for head trackers. I was already thinking about extending the interfaces for hand tracking devices, to be able to tie it to animations, aiming and vehicle control.

Ry_mann88

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:01:31 pm »

Imagine a Superman mod with this... *drools*