Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Engine Movement Animation - Enquiry  (Read 3337 times)

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
Engine Movement Animation - Enquiry
« on: February 15, 2014, 11:42:03 pm »

I was wondering if someone in the know here can explain to me how Outerra does or will implement animation, in respect about how such animation can be dynamically accessed if even possibly.

Let me explain. I'm kind-of getting ahead of myself here but I am creating an aircraft with multiple vector-based engines, ie. that can rotate along two planes for assisted rotational control of the aircraft. I imagine that I am going to have to create the animation sequences defining both the starting and points for each axis.

What I want to understand, is, does Outerra consider an animation to be a complete sequence that must be played back from beginning to end or a range of possible animation that can be played back forwards/backwards or from the middle etc?

ie. If I wanted to say move one of the engines 10 degrees along one axis, and 15 degrees along the other to achieve a form of diagonal movement could I specify the points of each axis animation which the engine uses to move the engine to reach that point or will I have to create its own specific 10x15 degree animation which will have to be called specifically?

I am more or less trying to understand whether an animation sequence can be set at any point along it's movement path, or whether it is a one shot, start to finish deal. That is of-course if you even understand what I am trying to say.

Thanks for any suggestions here,

Paul.
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Engine Movement Animation - Enquiry
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:34:04 am »

For this case I would think a rotation of object parts in script would work simpler (see the geometry object interface), unless you'll have an odd non-linearity there.
Otherwise, animations are supposed to be controlled by a 0..1 value and possibly also blended together, so that approach should be possible as well.

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
Re: Engine Movement Animation - Enquiry
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 01:48:21 am »

Oh saweet. You even provide a way to rotate the geometry itself (eventually found it in the wiki).

Thanks Cameni, I'll definitely try both methods when I get to it. See what is easier and works best for my approach.

Cheers :)
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!