Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Proland, Outerra and Terrain/Forrest editing  (Read 8184 times)

HiFlyer

Proland, Outerra and Terrain/Forrest editing
« on: February 18, 2014, 05:47:49 pm »

Hey guys!

When looking deeper into the capabilities of Outerra and similar engines, I naturally encountered Proland, and I see a lot of similarities. I already know that roads can be placed in real time, deforming the terrain, and that buildings and other things can be imported and placed, but I am not certain if Outerra has (or plans to have) powerful internal terrain controls similar to whats shown in the posted video. Specifically, will users be able to deform the terrain in real time and paint the terrain (and even paint in forests) similar to Proland?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:56:20 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

James

Re: Proland, Outerra and Terrain/Forrest editing
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:54:17 pm »

That video is from 2010, and looking at the other videos on that profile, it looks like it has made progress.

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 06:00:19 pm »

That video is from 2010, and looking at the other videos on that profile, it looks like it has made progress.

Yup! I am just asking if Outerra has or will have similar user capabilities.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

mikemayday

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:02:58 pm »

Wow, his take on 3d trees is enchanting :)

James

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:15:57 am »

It doesn't look like his trees are 3D.

HiFlyer

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:47:59 am »

It doesn't look like his trees are 3D.

He was probably looking at some of the programmers other videos:

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:15:23 am »

When looking deeper into the capabilities of Outerra and similar engines, I naturally encountered Proland, and I see a lot of similarities. I already know that roads can be placed in real time, deforming the terrain, and that buildings and other things can be imported and placed, but I am not certain if Outerra has (or plans to have) powerful internal terrain controls similar to whats shown in the posted video. Specifically, will users be able to deform the terrain in real time and paint the terrain (and even paint in forests) similar to Proland?
There are two different levels to which this can go - a planet sculptor allowing large scale modifications, and a scenery editor suitable to override the procedurally generated stuff. We are initially going to add the latter, in the form of a vector overlay engine that can modify various attributes of the terrain and its materials, vegetation etc. It's primarily meant for the import of vector databases like OSM, though a manual editing of the vector data will be possible as well. One example of the vector system that already works are the roads.

HiFlyer

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 12:04:25 pm »

Thanks for the answer Cameni. I'm part of a discussion about Outerra on another forum, and trying to clear up a few things.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 12:41:06 pm »

Yea, I saw old grumpy mgh there in a particularly bad mood again :D

James

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 12:44:44 pm »

Thanks for the answer Cameni. I'm part of a discussion about Outerra on another forum, and trying to clear up a few things.

I was arguing with somebody on Reddit who thought 1:1 scaled planet Earth is impossible. I kept telling him, just download the damn thing!