Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Norway  (Read 21759 times)

tknudsen

Norway
« on: January 25, 2011, 06:44:28 pm »

Would love to see som flying from Norway and its scenery.
How it looks in outerra

Please?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Norway
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:34:18 am »

Norway doesn't look very nice now because of the fact that current dataset does include only 1km resolution data above 60° latitude. But we have got the permission to use data from Viewfinder Panoramas that will allow us to have a consistent resolution for northern parts of the world, and also to use even finer resolution for mountainous regions (where it matters most).

We will be preparing a new dataset, but first we have to rewrite the tool used for it - it needs to be optimized using CUDA or OpenCL because it now takes insane amounts of time to process the data and it also contains several bugs.

tknudsen

Norway
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 06:36:33 pm »

That sounds like an excellent idea, ill be looking forward to some screens in the future then, awsome work you guys put in.

The most int. part is that your say there in fact is coverage above 62N degrees with resolution under 75m (arc 3 is it?)
In regards to Microsoft Flight Simulator we have been looking for this some time now. For Norway there is an LOD10 (35m) mesh and buffer mesh LOD 5,6,7,8 (that gives detail in the distence only, but not all that suited for FSX (works, but...)

So it is with great int. that I am watching the Outerra project and its work.

Once again, from the bottom of my heart, thanks for your development, much appreciated :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Norway
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:53:38 am »

The coverage map of Viewfinder Panoramas data is here. These are 3'' data extracted from topographic maps. Only some parts of Siberia and Svalbard are still missing.

tknudsen

Norway
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:05:23 pm »

Thanks, and the southern part is covered somewhere els right?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Norway
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 05:21:23 pm »

Yes, the southern part below 60° is already included in the global SRTM dataset. There exists also a newer Aster dataset that was supposed to provide global 30m resolution data for most of the world. Upon reviewing it we found that it is in fact less precise than SRTM, and what's worse - it contains very noticeable artifacts that make it totally unusable for Outerra.

tknudsen

Norway
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 06:47:17 pm »

Ok, I see

Well time will show, hopefully there will be a new shuttle mission some time in the future that aim to cover more of the world, more spesific data and better quality.

My question is tho, does America have the most detailed terrain in Outerra?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Norway
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 02:17:16 am »

No, we are using 3'' data for North America at the moment as well, instead of the 1'' that are available. New compilation will probably include 1'' data where available, and the resulting dataset can be stripped of detail levels when needed - for some types of games it's not necessary.

tknudsen

Norway
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 06:40:00 pm »

Sounds excellent sir, but where would you say in Outerra the best mesh resolution is? See that Himalaya have excellent resolution, might I be right asuming that this is 3" ?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Norway
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 01:19:10 am »

As I have said - resolution of 3'' is used on all land below 60° north, and 30'' on the rest of the land and seas. Himalayas use 3'' as well, although there are some places where the data were interpolated (so called "voids") and the quality is lower. Viewfinder Panoramas data can be used to fix these as well. Generally, mountainous regions would benefit from 1'' data, gaining finer erosion patterns.

tknudsen

Norway
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 07:44:21 pm »

Ok, Thank you

We are now in the progress of making mesh for X-plane with the link you provided
It will be int. to see how it comes out..

Jagerbomber

Norway
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 11:09:47 pm »

I'm curious. (3" is amazing to me.  :D )  Why do you add the "artificial" bumps on the hills/mountains (I forgot what the term was) if you have a 3 inch resolution?  (I could be understanding this completely wrong.  :P)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Norway
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 02:14:21 am »

No, that's arcsecond, an angular measure. As they say, not to be confused with the symbol for inches :)

It corresponds to roughly 90 meters (~300ft) at equator.
A dataset with resolution 3 inches would be insanely huge.

necro

• google+ Blog
Norway
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 04:17:02 am »

Which imaginary resolution do you gain with extrapolating? I think you wrote that there is no physical border because of your floating point space but im not sure. Actually you should reach 3" :p

Jagerbomber

Norway
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 10:36:17 am »

Ah, ok.  I should have known that.  :P

So where is each data point?  I'm assuming they make a grid and have 4 for each 3" square (curved/distorted to make the shape of the earth, at least when the points are applied to the engine).
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P
Pages: [1] 2