Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Center of mass  (Read 8115 times)

M7

Center of mass
« on: February 22, 2014, 12:14:31 pm »

I'm having trouble to get the center of mass of this ship right, using sketchup. I was not sure if i had to place the model with the world axis (the axis when nothing is selected like the left image) or the axis the model selected (like on the right). So i set these both to about the same position but the center of mass is still way off like you can see the ingame pic. The foam trail is probably where that certer of mass is. I know i could use the 'com' script to realign it but i'd much prefer to get it right in sketchup.

Anybody have a clue?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Center of mass
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:23:01 pm »

Hmm there was a bug with the importer vs the bounding boxes and com. I'm not sure if angrypig fixed it yet, but did you try to reimport it in the latest version?

M7

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 12:33:59 pm »

Yeah i just reimported it and com is still way off. I used the FBX importer btw. I'll try the collada and see if it does the same thing.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 12:39:42 pm »

Yeah i just reimported it and com is still way off. I used the FBX importer btw. I'll try the collada and see if it does the same thing.

Try checking all pivot points (origin points) of each object - may be that some of the parent-meshes has it way off to the left and then OT places it there (may be the main - empty one in this case) - had this several times too in my models - always some pivots off the place or bad parenting.

P.S.: Thats your work ? Pretty neat ship, thought at first, that it is the Pearl Harbors USS Arizona.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:42:02 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

M7

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 01:31:57 pm »

Dawm, my last response got an error. I wanted to attach the import log but failed to notice that it's 3MB :(

I double check, there's no other element around and the model is dead centered on origin as you can see in the pic buttom left.

The collada import didnt work. I seems to import right but when placed as object, its' invisible.

It's the Bismark. Got it from the sketchup warehouse. I deleted the Svastika, not that i personnally mind about it, it's just i thought it would not be a good idea to have OT pics with the Svastika circulating around. I found a few more nicely detailed battleship from the same era. Should make for some nice pics with an armada of these  :)

PytonPago

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 05:15:07 pm »

hmm ... cant think of another thing setting it off ... did you try to import the collada exported version, to check, if it doesnt do something stupid whyte exporting it ? (had a few instances in Blender, that the export got messed up too - doe, very unlikely) ... also, try put the eng.log onto some hosting site and give up the link to it (rapidshare or something)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

M7

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 05:42:31 pm »

The collada import seems to be broken atm. I just tried to import a simple box and i got a .pkg integrity failed error.

M7

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 11:20:43 pm »

Just checked and both the collada and FBX import of the bismark, have the pivot/com at the same place (distant from the hull like in the first ingame pic). So it may be  an issue with sketchup. Will import other ships to see if the same happen.

M7

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 01:11:17 am »

Think i finally got what is going wrong. For some reason with the Bismark and this model only, the origin Z axis do register when importing (FBX) but the X and Y just dont. So no matter where i set the origin in sketchup, the X and Y axis will always stay the same when importing in OT, but Z axis actually do work as supposed to.

It's so weird as i tried other models and their origin xyz axis transfer just fine in the import.

PytonPago

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 02:24:51 am »

Try exporting it from Blender, or just another version of SketchUp then - seems like a bug in it.

M7

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 10:28:55 pm »

It worked!!! i opened the FBX with 3dsmax and the origin showed at the same place as when imported in OT. So i moved it where it's supposed to saved another FBX and it imported perfectly. Thanks Pyton for the tip.

PytonPago

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 01:12:47 am »

It worked!!! i opened the FBX with 3dsmax and the origin showed at the same place as when imported in OT. So i moved it where it's supposed to saved another FBX and it imported perfectly. Thanks Pyton for the tip.
... Exports can get corrupted sometimes, can happen, that just some parts of the hierarchy will be off-set. Strange, that blender too, if the model wont be changed somehow, the collada export keeps the bad position of the pivot, no matter how many times you export it (maybe should check the newer version doe), like something would mess up the position coordinates (but happens just occasional). But another application (sometimes just joining and splitting the mesh whyte another) always fixes that.

Do you plan to make the turrets turn ?

M7

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 11:19:33 am »

Yes i want to animale those turrets. I Wonder if you can control 2 or more bones with the same Key, like to control 2 turrets tower at the same time or have those aa guns swivel All with one Key?

PytonPago

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 12:20:57 pm »

Yes i want to animale those turrets. I Wonder if you can control 2 or more bones with the same Key, like to control 2 turrets tower at the same time or have those aa guns swivel All with one Key?

... the script is so, that you can define multiple turrets and theyr guns to rotate - problem is, they will rotate at once ... BUT, you probably could do it elseway - try give there an aditional IF function, where an aditional key should be pressed too (doe, cars and ships have limited entry keyboard keys at the time, but still, ya dont need much of them exept for just moving around and the turrets - so the "O" and ShiftUP/DOWN keys could be used for that additional entry). So one gun moves just by the clasic controls, the second, if the "O" key is hit at the same time, third whyte the ShiftUP and the last whyte ShiftDown.

That might work ... will probably need tome try and error script build there doe. But the small will be just static it seems for now.

- Would be classy if you could define something like a vehicle white-in a vehicle, so you could enter any fire-position like a car and when you wanted to steer the ship, you would aether define the same movement stuff into all those "quasi vehicles" or "take" the Bridge. Maybe, when the multilayer comes, it could work like a super LAN Server co-opp battleship fortress ! That would be classy whyte all the sparkles !! :D