Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Using real world data for roads and runways, human made structures, and weather?  (Read 12151 times)

HiFlyer

I had posted this before, but not sure anyone saw it. Would these type of open source and very high resolution detailed earth data-sets be useful?

http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/10m-raster-data/

http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/10m-physical-vectors/

http://www.naturalearthdata.com/downloads/10m-cultural-vectors/
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com

Yes they can be used. I knew about them, but haven't yet tested how they match with the detailed raster data (their raster data are very coarse, ~1800m res). There may be some issues  - not sure what's the effective resolution of the vector data.

HiFlyer

Yes they can be used. I knew about them, but haven't yet tested how they match with the detailed raster data (their raster data are very coarse, ~1800m res). There may be some issues  - not sure what's the effective resolution of the vector data.

Wow. Its an education to me that this type of data is considered course. What size are you already using?!

Natural Earth features 5 types of raster files at 1:10 million-scale to suit your bandwidth and content focus. Two versions of the 10 million-scale raster data are offered: high resolution files at 21,600 x 10,800 pixels and low resolution at 16,200 x 8,100. The raster files register precisely with the 10m (There ya' go!!) vector data. Embedded raster content includes: land cover, shaded relief, ocean water, and drainages with lakes. All files include a TFW world file.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:08:20 am by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com

Note the raster data are not 10m resolution, they are in 1:10 million scale. A "high resolution file" with 21,000 pixels along the 360° of longitude means that one sample covers ~1800 meters. That's really coarse.

Now I'm not sure what to think of "register precisely with the 10m vector data", but it doesn't mean 10 meters. Notice what's on the right side of the top banner: "Free vector and raster map data at 1:10m, 1:50m, and 1:110m scales". 10m, 50m and 110m refer to the scales, not meters, whatever the scale on a digital map means (probably something with the DPI).

Now some data are still fine with 2km resolution, but not many.

HiFlyer

Note the raster data are not 10m resolution, they are in 1:10 million scale. A "high resolution file" with 21,000 pixels along the 360° of longitude means that one sample covers ~1800 meters. That's really coarse.

Now I'm not sure what to think of "register precisely with the 10m vector data", but it doesn't mean 10 meters. Notice what's on the right side of the top banner: "Free vector and raster map data at 1:10m, 1:50m, and 1:110m scales". 10m, 50m and 110m refer to the scales, not meters, whatever the scale on a digital map means (probably something with the DPI).

Now some data are still fine with 2km resolution, but not many.

Thanks for the information. Its something I was not clear on at all!  :D

pictish

So if I am understanding this right (from an archaeology point of view), I can import real life data regarding buildings using the methods others are using for creating structures ect all I would do is import the 3d scans and point clouds available and process them with other software such as 3ds max, but when it comes to terrain LIDAR and other geographical survey data as well as more accurate subsea scans could not be incorporated.

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.

I think any kind of DEM could be used in Outerra, but I don`t know how practical it would be.
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.
Pages: 1 [2]