Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Superman: The Game in Outerra  (Read 4985 times)

Andy C.

Superman: The Game in Outerra
« on: March 03, 2014, 01:06:42 pm »

Hi, guys.  First post here, completely new to modding and things like that, but I've been watching the development of Outerra and the things you guys are coming up with, and I've been absolutely blown away by it all.  I'd love to get into the action, but I have no idea on where to start since I have precisely zero experience with 3d modeling, scripting, etc.

Anyway, I've been thinking about a specific question for a very long time, and I think the Outerra engine might finally provide the answer I've been looking for: why hasn't anyone been able to make a good Superman game?

One of the big problems has been one of scale: with a character as powerful as Superman, a guy who can zip around the world at near light-speed and bench-press entire planets, just building a single city for him to fly around in hardly does the character justice.  In order to really capture the immense power you're dealing with, you'd need to be able to render not just the city of Metropolis, but the entire world.....and from what I've seen, Outerra will be capable of doing exactly that.

Picture, for instance, a scenario where Lex Luthor has engineered multiple crises all at once in order to keep Superman busy while he tries to enact his master plan.  He lets the monster Bizarro loose in Western Europe, detonates a nuclear warhead along a major fault line underneath the ocean to create a monster earthquake and tsunami that threatens to destroy several islands in the South Pacific, and sabotages the International Space Station to knock it out of orbit and set it on a trajectory to crash right into the heart of Washington DC, all while using the distractions to break into STAR Labs and steal an alien artifact that will give him what he needs to complete his world-conquering doomsday machine.  And you, as Superman, would have to decide which crisis to respond to first, how to stop each disaster from happening, and try to do it all in enough time to foil Luthor before he gets a chance to set his evil plans into motion.

Or maybe you have a campaign where, say, Brainiac has set up a network of armed satellites all around the planet and is absorbing every piece of information on Earth, and you have to destroy them before he gains all of Earth's knowledge and then blows the planet up.  Or even just a colossal-scale battle between Superman and General Zod or Doomsday, with both combatants blasting each other with punches that knock the other one across the world or up into space.  The possibilities for some truly epic games are really exciting, and with an engine like Outerra, they should be within designers' grasp to make.

Heck, even if over-the-top planet-wide combat isn't feasible, you could still make a great 'Choose Your Own Adventure' style game in the vein of Telltale's Walking Dead series, and being able to fly around the world wherever you want in between events would be an incredible icing on the cake.  Just look at this footage and tell me you wouldn't want a game where you do this as Big Blue:

Just add a character model with some flying animations and some 'whoosh' sounds for the wind and his flapping cape, and you're well on your way.

So, what do you guys think?  Could Outerra be used to make a genuinely great superhero game?  Is that something y'all would like to see, or am I the only one?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:11:41 pm by Andy C. »

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: Superman: The Game in Outerra
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 03:03:53 pm »

Its entirely possible. Although getting the licence for Superman would be a pain in the neck!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:24:23 pm »

Its entirely possible. Although getting the licence for Superman would be a pain in the neck!

Thats no tragedy ... we just need to come up whyte our own ...

.... imposter. Then, its not an copyright issue. :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Andy C.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 05:47:45 pm »

Yeah, there's nothing saying that one couldn't come up with an original hero and avoid the wrath of Warner Bros (and if folks absolutely want to play as the actual Superman, well, that's what mods are for).  But at any rate, I think that Outerra has the potential to make heroic action/adventure games on a scale that nobody's ever tried before, allowing gamers to play as superheroes with top-tier, planetary-scale abilities rather than just the street-level heroes we've had for the last few years.

I'm sure I'm glossing over a million things that would need to be thought out and worked on, since like I said I have zero knowledge of 3d modeling or game design, but I'd definitely like to get towards making a game like that happen one way or another.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:03 am »

Yeah, there's nothing saying that one couldn't come up with an original hero and avoid the wrath of Warner Bros (and if folks absolutely want to play as the actual Superman, well, that's what mods are for).  But at any rate, I think that Outerra has the potential to make heroic action/adventure games on a scale that nobody's ever tried before, allowing gamers to play as superheroes with top-tier, planetary-scale abilities rather than just the street-level heroes we've had for the last few years.

I'm sure I'm glossing over a million things that would need to be thought out and worked on, since like I said I have zero knowledge of 3d modeling or game design, but I'd definitely like to get towards making a game like that happen one way or another.

Just keep up piling good thoughts in some box to be later released, when OT is fully ready and you got the skills or motivated nice mod-people. Good things come to those who wait and prepare, its said. ;)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.