Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Soft Body Physics/dynamics  (Read 8004 times)

krunkskimo

Soft Body Physics/dynamics
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:22:47 pm »

While looking for cheap fun i ran into this open source simulator called Rigs of Rods.

would somthing like this be possible in this engine?  i remeber reading about the possibility of affecting the terrain in realtime so i imagine you could do this for vehicles and buildings as well?

collision dectection, deformation, and debris is so much fun!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Soft Body Physics/dynamics
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:19:22 pm »

It is possible, but it would require us to be focused on this aspect instead of the terrain and world rendering. It can come later, either integrated to the core or in the form of an addon.

Deformation of terrain (craters and tracks) is quite different from beam physics used for vehicles, we cannot use the same techniques there.

Tactical_Force

Re: Soft Body Physics/dynamics
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 11:05:56 pm »

It is possible, but it would require us to be focused on this aspect instead of the terrain and world rendering. It can come later, either integrated to the core or in the form of an addon.

Deformation of terrain (craters and tracks) is quite different from beam physics used for vehicles, we cannot use the same techniques there.

That'll be cool, if you guys can manage to put in Soft body physics in this game that'll be epic and I'm sure a-lot of developers will get their hands on your engine :). Everything else that you guys done as for the Terrain is really good. Another thing you guys could consider is maybe add something to where players can mine into mountains and maybe possibilities of finding Ores and stuff? The more you add into it, the more the other developers may step in to buy your engine. Keep up the great work and sorry for reviving an old thread. Just found this in the search topic for Soft body. Also maybe check into adding SpinTires physics as well later on?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:11:43 pm by Tactical_Force »