Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My dream game... A WW2 RTS (on Outerra)  (Read 11859 times)

jjake101

My dream game... A WW2 RTS (on Outerra)
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:29:59 pm »

When I first saw this game engine, one of my first ideas was a WW2 RTS. This would obviously be a massive undertaking that would require a dev team of hundreds of people. As this is a full size planet, there would have to be a time acceleration feature (as seen in Paradox Interactive grand strategy games) otherwise you would have to play one game for 7+ years... Also needed would be overlays that would show the outlines of regions and who controls them (again Paradox Interactve have good examples of this in EUIV). There would also have to be some form of tech tree (Germany didnt have nukes in 1936)

In order for this game to even have a chance of completion, it would have to be released in modules (as with Star Citizen) here are the examples I came up with... (it looks like the ground modules would take the most time to develop)
- European Ground Module (contains destructible buildings, roads and troop types for European war participants
- European Armour Module (adds Tanks and other ww2 vehicles and missles)
- European Air Module (adds airplanes)
- European Naval Module (contains different ww2 era ships including submarines and aircraft carriers)
- North American Ground module (contains destructible buildings, roads and troop types for North American war participants)
ect....

I can dream...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:39:54 pm by jjake101 »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: My dream game... A WW2 RTS (on Outerra)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:27:07 pm »

Sounds like a plan ... for a century of work, but still a nice plan.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

jjake101

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 02:39:46 pm »

Sounds like a plan ... for a century of work, but still a nice plan.

Yeah... you'd definitely need a team of more than 500+ people (or maybe more than 1000) to even create everything you need for this (this is why I hope Outerra will eventually get picked up by a large developer :) )

PytonPago

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 02:45:36 pm »

... get picked up by a large developer :)

... MOD-ers ... thousands upon thousands of them. :D
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 02:52:36 pm »

Yeah you don't want to put your hopes into a "large developer". They tend to work towards fatter wallets and bottom lines vs maintaining a vision and getting the best gameplay experience possible. Modders are going to make this engine sing. A big team to get the games going and hundreds of small ones making resources, vehicles, sounds etc etc.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

jjake101

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 04:51:42 pm »

Yeah you don't want to put your hopes into a "large developer". They tend to work towards fatter wallets and bottom lines vs maintaining a vision and getting the best gameplay experience possible. Modders are going to make this engine sing. A big team to get the games going and hundreds of small ones making resources, vehicles, sounds etc etc.

I guess that really depends on the ethics of the developer. From what ive seen it's the publishers that cause the problems mainly by rushing games out before there ready (Total War: Rome 2, Battlefield 4 ect...) and by pressuring the developer into adding things that they dont really want to do or by wanting the game to be accessible so it gets over-simplified and the game is ruined.

PytonPago

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 05:57:17 pm »

Well, you cant escape the economy behind things nowadays ... maybe, when the basic income comes ...

... a programmer heaven ...

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 04:37:45 am »

Man that looks so futuristic - in a 1960s sort of way. He must be playing the 1960 version of Outerra, with Imagination Graphics.
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!

PytonPago

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 08:09:42 am »

Man that looks so futuristic - in a 1960s sort of way. He must be playing the 1960 version of Outerra, with Imagination Graphics.

compiling paper-wripes into pixelated W-B frames --- around 15 FPMonth. :D And importing must be fun too. :D

jjake101

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 01:24:31 pm »

well hopefully one day something like this will happen... it could be the ultimate ww2 game

jjake101

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 08:07:01 pm »

well hopefully one day something like this will happen... it could be the ultimate ww2 game

Ive just though of another idea... would it be possible to use 1940's era aerial maps to generate accurate roads and buildings?

PytonPago

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 03:51:40 pm »

Ive just though of another idea... would it be possible to use 1940's era aerial maps to generate accurate roads and buildings?

once the vector-layer importer for them will be finished by Cameni and AngryPig .. doe, you have to create a vector map based on those photos ... BUT, i would ask around major world historycs if there isnt such project of digitalizing WWII data in such a way. Im certain, they would help by sharing that stuff ...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:54:13 am by PytonPago »

jjake101

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 07:01:04 pm »

Ive just realized one thing that will hold this game back (its something every game designer hates)... hardware. Can you imagine the CPU, RAM & GPU you'll need to simulate thousands (probably millions) of troops, armour vehicles, boats & planes and not to mention simulating the bullets and missiles so its not a dice roll thing... (think: Supreme Commander)

you'd probably need to wait until the following spec is the norm for AAA games...
4Ghz 16 core CPU
24 GB RAM
12GB graphics card

... guess we'll have to wait until the technology catches up with the idea :(

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 12:42:54 am »

Well im partway there I have 32 gigs of ram... hmm bring on 2020
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!

PytonPago

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 01:55:39 am »

Ive just realized one thing that will hold this game back (its something every game designer hates)... hardware. Can you imagine the CPU, RAM & GPU you'll need to simulate thousands (probably millions) of troops, armour vehicles, boats & planes and not to mention simulating the bullets and missiles so its not a dice roll thing... (think: Supreme Commander)

you'd probably need to wait until the following spec is the norm for AAA games...
4Ghz 16 core CPU
24 GB RAM
12GB graphics card

... guess we'll have to wait until the technology catches up with the idea :(

Well, therewould be some time flowing till the game is finished anyway (and the engine) .. also, there are few ways to reduce the load...

Pages: [1] 2