Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My dream game... A WW2 RTS (on Outerra)  (Read 12274 times)

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: My dream game... A WW2 RTS (on Outerra)
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 11:37:00 am »

Well, in an RTS you don`t have to "simulat" every bullet, troop and vehicle. Take Age Of Empires III for example. You just order a bunch of troops (sharing between 3-4 different character models, so no big taxing there) to fire upon the enemy`s troops and they just play a "shooting" animation, and the damage is added to the targt. No need to use valuable PC power to simulate the bullets path.
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: My dream game... A WW2 RTS (on Outerra)
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 03:44:26 pm »

Well, in an RTS you don`t have to "simulat" every bullet, troop and vehicle. Take Age Of Empires III for example. You just order a bunch of troops (sharing between 3-4 different character models, so no big taxing there) to fire upon the enemy`s troops and they just play a "shooting" animation, and the damage is added to the targt. No need to use valuable PC power to simulate the bullets path.

... or we could use the old good procedural stuff, you know, the simulations for structure escape-route simulation - at certain distance it would just swap real battle for some proc. simulation, where the fight outcome would be eather pre-defined or just strategic-situation data driven (number of troops, morale etc) whyle the animation would be done some fancy fitting and low HD-cost way ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Pages: 1 [2]