Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Would a R9 270 Boost handle Outerra well?  (Read 3339 times)

KING

Would a R9 270 Boost handle Outerra well?
« on: March 14, 2014, 06:20:13 pm »

I'm not sure what forum this goes in so i suppose i'll place it here and wait and see if it's the wrong one (sorry in advance if so)

So i was wandering... how would the R9 270 Boost would handle outerra nearly maxed out or at medium - high settings? as i'm currently saving up to get one.

This is the one i'm looking at: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-xfx-radeon-r9-270-boost-28nm-5600mhz-gddr5-gpu-900mhz-boost-925mhz-1280-streams-dp-dvi-hdmi-plus?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CPrSnLP7vLwCFTMPtAod5moAHw

All answers are appreciated.

Cheerio :D

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
Re: Would a R9 270 Boost handle Outerra well?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 07:35:36 pm »

Comparing it to my card a GTX 680 I am pretty sure that XFX card would be sweet as. My card runs Outerra and all other games max out (except MSFSX - but that game has issues and is CPU intensive) without any issues what-so-ever and that XFX seems to be only marginally behind in specs - and I mean marginally.

Ofcourse though there are always other issues when dealing with GFX cards too, like the operating system it is going to be used on, its compatibility or incompatibility with the other hardware devices you are also using and driver availability etc. It would definitely be a better world if their was a way to test GFX cards before we bought them.

In my opinion though, you would be in good terms with Outerra if you had that GFX card and I am sure you will be reaching some high spec FPS rates around 60 or better - if not now, especially when Outerra becomes optimised with proper release versions.
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 05:02:04 am »

So i was wandering... how would the R9 270 Boost would handle outerra nearly maxed out or at medium - high settings? as i'm currently saving up to get one.

I have an HIS ICEQX² Radeon R9 270 (2Gb DDR5), running with an Intel Core I3-4130. It's a really good GPU, giving great performance compared to it's price. Metro Last Light was running almost running full detail (exept physX of course), Far Cry 3 full detail, Battlefield 3 full detail too (all in 1920*1080, 40~60 fps). The only game I must be cautious with the settings is Arma 3, but it's a very specific case.

Outerra run really well, no matter what level of detail you choose. However, I keep a lower terrain and texture quality (terrain: 960p, texture: high), to avoid any "pop up" effect when you move fast ; or experiencing small framerate loss in an area with a lot of very detailed models (Levi's GTA IV buildings for example). To give a more precise answer to your question, yes, the engine will run smoothly, in it's current state, with medium -high settings  :)

Due to the sometimes clunky Open-GL support with ATI, there are some artifacts (large shadows dissapearing depending of the direction you are looking at) with Catalist drivers 14.2, but the engine is still in Alpha, so nothing surprising since they are working on this topic. To quote Cameni : "In Catalyst 13.12 AMD has implemented the OpenGL extension we needed to be able to handle planetary distances more efficiently, and ultimately allowing us to implement better solution especially for the multiple lights rendering. The upcoming update will automatically switch to the new mode if it finds the extension, and people with AMD cards are advised to update to the latest driver version."

Hope it helps you  :)

KING

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 06:06:46 am »

Thanks PaulMoffat and Acetone, Very helpful!

Now i guess it's time to start saving :D

Foxiol

• Gamer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 05:46:09 am »

My GTX560Ti OC 1GB runs Outerra like a boss (lovely higher frame rates but not using the higher resolution textures of course)...so you won´t have problems with that GPU for sure.

PS: Add that mine is under a massive bottleneck because I´m with an old dual core and still runs perfect using AA and such at 1080p resolution.