Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: How can I place something in Orbit  (Read 3976 times)

zander

How can I place something in Orbit
« on: March 18, 2014, 08:08:02 am »

Hello, Im new to this game.  I want to test the orbital physics so I want to place a mig 29 in orbit say 200km up. How can I do this?

thank you

zzz

Re: How can I place something in Orbit
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 09:53:40 am »

Hi, for the mig you can just fly the camera up to your desired altitude and then spawn it via the aircraft menu. Unfortunately physics stop having any effect around 600,000m

zander

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 10:58:04 am »

How will that put it in orbit?  It will fall down again. It needs over 7000 m/S speed to orbit.

jordano543

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 02:16:14 pm »

Maybe because the physics in the engine top out at 600km you could free up some space in the cpu overusage by cutting them off at 81km-100km, and then you could possibly use the remaining area for orbital mechanics programming? Big MAYBE here...

reason is that the speed you would need at 100km to generate lift=orbital speed
81 km is where the aircraft should start having issues with stability unless its capable of orbital speed 
space station orbits about 400km
if engine only goes to 600, why not just call it space at 400km to 1000 km?
and basically make it so if you want to fly at 100km to 400 km you would have to go 7000m/s
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:11:58 pm by jordano543 »

zander

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:15:39 pm »

Sorry I don't understand your reply. The game already has gravity right?  I just want to spawn an object 200km up and give it an orbital speed  to see it orbit. I know how to spawn it 200km up,   

so my question would then be how can I set an objects speed to whatever I want?

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 12:09:50 am »

Sorry I don't understand your reply. The game already has gravity right?  I just want to spawn an object 200km up and give it an orbital speed  to see it orbit. I know how to spawn it 200km up,   

so my question would then be how can I set an objects speed to whatever I want?

As far as I know you cant. Orbital mechanics are not yet employed for non-interactive objects. Static objects (unmoving) can be placed in orbit much like they can on earth, floating even in mid-air like some anti-gravity super freak but the only objects with velocity so far are vehicles, boats and aircraft etc.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:11:51 am by PaulMoffat »
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!