Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Oculus rift DK2 is now available for pre-order  (Read 24213 times)

bongodriver

M7

Re: Oculus rift DK2 is now available for pre-order
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:32:17 pm »

Very tempting.....

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 05:18:58 pm »

Here's the full page btw
http://www.oculusvr.com/dk2/

Definitely want more than ever, but I'm still gonna way for the consumer version.

Is this the Crystal Cove?  What is it using for positional tracking with the camera if there isn't the white dots on it?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:26:39 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

bongodriver

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 05:31:07 pm »

No it's not crystal cove but it must have most of the same features, it is interesting that there are no visible IR dots, but we can only assume it is using them or something equivalent or the IR camera is pointless.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 05:35:13 pm »

Evil.. Too tempting to be good. TOO TEMPTING.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 05:51:49 pm »

Actually, according to Kotaku, it is the Crystal Cove.  Oh and as for the the positional tracking, I looked at the picture again and it looks like there's a black IR light panel in the top center perhaps?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:54:09 pm »

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jagerbomber

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 07:13:43 pm »

So now you can't use your own camera?.... bs

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 11:28:17 pm »

I can understand the requirement. Can't rely on everyone/anyone to have a camera with the right specs and don't want people complaining that it isn't working as intended. They give you the camera included in the price so it isn't anything extra.

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 12:39:16 am »

Awesome. I'm holding off until the consumer version though myself. Let everyone else pay for the R&D process hehehe  ;D

I have my TrackIR too keep me entertained until then.  8)
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!

Jagerbomber

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 05:30:08 pm »

I can understand the requirement. Can't rely on everyone/anyone to have a camera with the right specs and don't want people complaining that it isn't working as intended. They give you the camera included in the price so it isn't anything extra.

Yes, but that is $50 more than the old kit.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 03:43:12 am »

The screen in it is 1080p and 5".. i would blame that more than the camera.

Timmo

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 06:35:29 pm »

I get the feeling Oculus is going to have to get a move on given the recent announcement by Sony about their VR headset....

bongodriver

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 07:03:18 pm »

Why, the sony headset is for their own console and has an inferior FOV, Oculus are taking care of the PC market.

Elecman

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 07:59:17 pm »

I hope Outerra will support the new positional tracking in the DK2 from day one. I ordered one and would love to play with it in Outerra.

Also, it would be nice if it is possible to set the default head position because in the MIG the head is too far backward.

By the way, DK2 != crystalCove. They both have a low persistence OLED screen (no blurring when you move your head) and positional tracking but they are not exactly the same. The DK2 still has the IR led's but they are hidden behind IR translucent plastic.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:07:02 pm by Elecman »
Pages: [1] 2 3