Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Updated physics?  (Read 4331 times)

XxToxicPandaxX

Updated physics?
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:32:06 pm »

What would be the chances of the Bullet engine being update (or replaced) with something a little more enjoyable to drive? Soft body physics is starting to become more common, and I think the engine could really benefit with something similar. Any chances?

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: Updated physics?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 11:28:03 am »

Soft body physics have been descussed A LOT. Its not happening any time soon.
The physics will be updated somewhen....
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

XxToxicPandaxX

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 07:11:44 pm »

Soft body physics have been descussed A LOT. Its not happening any time soon.
The physics will be updated somewhen....
Really any physics updates would do wonders for this game...

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 01:39:06 am »

Soft body physics have been discussed A LOT. Its not happening any time soon.
The physics will be updated some-when....
Really any physics updates would do wonders for this game...

... lets see what the black-box brings. Also, it already has bullet, only objects imported dont have any physical characteristics (mass, etc.) to be used and there is no simulation mode for them. (their just static render objects) I think, when those things will be applied properly in-game and some destruction mechanisms for materials get some open hand, all will see some heavy change here, just like vehicles and importer were. Maybe there is also a thing about blending simulations together - ya know, aircraft's and other vehicles are on a different simulation, where interactions have to be yet defined between them ( also to objects later ). But i think, if the environmental properties have to do their part in affecting physics, they do well in getting that part sorted out first - can imagine how mixing dev. of both at the same time could get a little messy, or problematic.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

XxToxicPandaxX

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 12:07:29 am »

Bare with me, I know next to nothing about coding and how the actual physics engines work, but if the vehicles are on the Bullet engine, then how come we don't see really any kind of physics in the vehicles?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 12:31:43 am »

Physics interactions currently only happen with the wheels and the ground. The bodies don't have collision except with other vehicles and it is basically a rough bounding box.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo