Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: Game Assets - What should the vehicles look like?  (Read 211563 times)

CHOAM

Re: Game Assets - What should the vehicles look like?
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2012, 03:27:53 am »

I saw great ideas on concepts here, I'm a BSG and Firefly fan... so, quick question, I don't know ANYTHING about 3d modeling and extensions for those files so, is it posible to import models from freeware mods from Freespace like Beyond the red line (BSG)?

Sorry if that was a stupid question... Back on topic, I spect to see, at first, newtonian physics in space on multipurpose ships, those can enter the atmosphere and land on earth. Others not, satellites for reaching a full operative comunication network to investigate what's going on (If I come back to Earth and EVERYTHING disapeared, I'll not send a dropship so easy).

Another point is the building time... re-colonize a world needs lot of time, and time means evolve. So things (Buildings, vehicles and so) will turn more specialized, designs too. MAybe it's too much.

Well, those are just a few thoughts, maybe nothing of this will take sense or be productive in any way, but thanks and sorry for my bad english!!

nikosGT

« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2012, 09:45:22 pm »

I guess not too many train-simmers have made it over here yet. Since trains will be part of the next alpha apparently, I'll throw out a few ideas. Going off the Anteworld premise, one would guess that the first railroads would be rather basic, so a lightweight, but powerful locomotive would be needed. The EMD G22 would be my pick, you cant beat the reliability of the roots blown EMD 645 prime mover and this model has proven its success around the world in both 4 and 6 axle configurations, and in passenger and freight service. The units cooling system is designed to prevent overheating in tunnels and the unit is designed for multiple unit operations. I think it would make a excellent jack of all trades for the first railroads on the new earth.
4 axle G22

6 axle G22C

G22C's in action in Croatia
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:54:37 pm by nikosGT »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2012, 10:46:43 pm »

I guess not too many train-simmers have made it over here yet.

Trains still make the most sense for getting bulk good across vast undeveloped expanses. Roads would require too much effort and way more people to run them with the same amount of product.

Did I mention we are mining cocaine out of the mountains? Nothing but powers our ships. Keeps them running for DAYS..
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2012, 03:17:10 am »

I guess not too many train-simmers have made it over here yet.

Trains still make the most sense for getting bulk good across vast undeveloped expanses. Roads would require too much effort and way more people to run them with the same amount of product.

Did I mention we are mining cocaine out of the mountains? Nothing but powers our ships. Keeps them running for DAYS..

Would be interesting to make an complex railroad-map that would look like in a checking-station ... something similar to the russian integrated GPS/GLONAS railroad control system (mking an Pc map of all tracks and crossings vhzte indikators of their current position on witch the trains are looked up trough + PC controller, that makes sure, that no collisions occure). Thez actuallz plan to inplement ewen some indication parameters for the stations themselwe, like in Sochi - (time to arrive, current position/station, track left, type, speed for all incomming trains).
Maybe this would be ewen able to implement to the google-map function (where the tracks and train positions would be seen).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2012, 03:43:39 am »

I would never imagine there would be that many trains on the earth in Outerra that a massive computer control would be needed. Keeping a broad schedule like one train departing a day, every day from every major settlement and another returning 12 hours later to load/unload would probably be sufficient for even the busiest quarries, refineries and farms.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

nikosGT

« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2012, 03:17:57 pm »

I do hope some sort of coding for railroad signals is included. If you want to use more than 1 AI train on a line at a time its pretty much mandatory. User controlled trains be dispatched through track warrants like many real railroads do on light density lines but I think it would be a bad idea not to have any support for signalling and AI dispatching.

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2012, 12:01:52 pm »

Am I the only one who would like a more modern, weathered appearance for most things?

Just think about where you'll see most items- it won't be clean internal spaces, or the depths of space, but muddy wilderness areas. The Cessna and the chopper fit these places well, because when they're parked on the ground somewhere, they blend in.

Plus, I feel like I could get more immersed, more emotionally invested, in a world that seems a bit more concrete- and a way you'd do that is by having things be immediately acceptable as real, modern items.

PytonPago

« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2012, 07:51:49 am »

Its some time from the last post, but i found an interesting vehicle :

ОКР "Бумеранг" - boomerang - should be an modular armed transporter.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Matt6767

« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:49 am »

Or!

BAE JLTV

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »

God the windshield on that first one Pago. It is a bird-shit magnet!

This little french thing is nice and fast looking.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:49:03 pm by ZeosPantera »

PytonPago

« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2012, 07:38:13 am »

God the windshield on that first one Pago. It is a bird-shit magnet!

:D ... hawent thought about that particular thing as an "construction-factor" in the militarry. :D

I think in this particular project, thay tried to apply the t-34 knowledge of theyr fathers - M. Koshkin and co. to use the front side in a particular angle to "reflect" bullets abowe the criticall hit-angle. Not a bad idea if you think about it, mainly if the front side of a middle-weight transport is the main "hit spot" and the main problem (because the lower anti-balisstic characteristics of the cabin glass) at the safety in combat situation. An interesting way to maximalize the needed penetration thickness of the armour. Who knows how its shooting-tests would look like, but the fact to hawe an higher position ower it to hitt it radically by an anti armour bullet is there. ... an it looks werry wierd-moderny whyte the IED-outflow construction.

Werry simple thinking, weird, but who knows ? Maybe anything will look once that way in the future, exept it will fly. :D

Also the front-set seems to be constructed as an modular part for an posibble bigger and/orr other type vehicles to be modular and inter-usable part for both of them (ewen symplifying the production and service). Would be interesting to see the intensions in terms of modularity in that project, but it may be an 10+ year waiting. :( (Not to mention, that Medveď, vlk, tyger and the new Ural seem to be the choice for the ministry of defenc in RF and so could be possably canceled, wouldnt mint to fund it doe to see, what comes out of it ...) Already there are a great effort to make many of the millitary battle tech. in RF moddable and multi-usable (in terms of unified engine/gearbox/frames/fight complexes to make an simple and fast way to repair and modify them for particular situation in the field ...).

... for the "french - american" one, its actually "IN" to make those wehicles werry persistent against RPG´s and IED´s as theyr tactics assume a fast victory in combat trought air and tech/number superiority against potencial enemyes in wars and an ocuppation progress. That means, that they may not be so agile and fast as it seems to be, what actually is making an gread problem in the minds of russian constructors themselves, witch wont to go the modular way, because the too-high expension in fire-resistance can significantly hit the transporters specs as for the great weight (and modern materials are not so weight-sawing as it would be needed) ... one of the Ural-constructors said, that its the same as the post WWII problem in Tank-building. Ending in an dead-end of that approach (why they took the smaller, lighter tank-construction way and in modern days special ways of protection - active armour/SHTORA AND OTHER OPTO/RADIO/THERMAL protection systems (and us has an shrapnell-based anti RPG system too, dont know how they do exploit it, but as long as casulties extend they war as they wish, ti will probably stay in extended protection vehicle production) , witch i think they will try to transfer from tanks trought now applied BMS´s to transporters too in the future). But US way doest care about that, becouse they use such wehicles more in Conwoy-leading and protection in an prolonged ocupattional enviroment. So to the point, that the Joint "LIGHT" Fighting Vehicle starts to be an Light big-ass transporter whyte some little more space as an HMMWV, but not the capacity of an truck neither. So we can see the RF Tyger (that isnt as much agile and fast too) to be used as a mobile AT-rocket complex - something like a modern age BRDM whyte the needed anti-balistic specs., not suplementing the light fighting and recon vehicles, butt rather extending the millitary "garague".
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:05:34 am by PytonPago »

DurMan667

« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2012, 08:09:32 pm »

I think it would be cool to have more future-ey design in the vehicles, such as this:

It's good to look at modern concept cars to see what our engineers imagine as the future of automotives.

You know, a version of Transportation Tycoon in the Oterra engine would be frikkin' sweet.

PytonPago

« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2012, 05:59:16 am »

Everything I have online is very very old.  I haven't done anything recently due to lack of time and a needy son :).  But everything I do have is online at my website: www.cshawnsmith.com

Nice art skills ...

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2012, 02:14:42 pm »

if most of the stuff in the world was either built or stored on a spacecraft, then we have to look at modern areospace equipment for examples. It will be designed to be first of all low-mass, and secondly low volume to allow for more efficient packing. The tanks and bubble cars simply don't make sense.

Since we're talking about one group of humans colonizing alien worlds, they would have absolutely no reason to consider tactical design elements. Everything from camouflage to bulletproof windows would be as absurd as going hiking in a bulletproof vest.

Rather, neon orange and green- orange because it's noticeable in many natural backgrounds, and neon green because it's in the sweet spot of human perception- would be major accents, and otherwise we'd see little other than normal material colors and aesthetic design choices. Medium orange jumpsuits with neon green accents would make finding lost colonists from the air easy.

PytonPago

« Reply #164 on: April 05, 2012, 04:42:42 am »

if most of the stuff in the world was either built or stored on a spacecraft, then we have to look at modern areospace equipment for examples. It will be designed to be first of all low-mass, and secondly low volume to allow for more efficient packing. The tanks and bubble cars simply don't make sense.

Since we're talking about one group of humans colonizing alien worlds, they would have absolutely no reason to consider tactical design elements. Everything from camouflage to bulletproof windows would be as absurd as going hiking in a bulletproof vest.

Rather, neon orange and green- orange because it's noticeable in many natural backgrounds, and neon green because it's in the sweet spot of human perception- would be major accents, and otherwise we'd see little other than normal material colors and aesthetic design choices. Medium orange jumpsuits with neon green accents would make finding lost colonists from the air easy.

An wariable-based system actually, that would simply, fast and effectivelly use eqipement of the "entrance-vessel" that is not needed after getting to ground as its an one-way tech. I thought about Camenis triangle-digging idea :
- oval triangle shape, witch would enter the atmosphere in an basic capsule way hawing the base from thermal-resistent ceramics and grphine materials, getting down in an paraschuted way. After getting to the ground, the lower part would be used as an digging platform, just opening up in three ways of its shape getting much ground away and partially get the whole vessel a little grounded, whyle those platforms would be used then as an plato around the capsule. Then the upper part would open up in an way it would make an covered structure and garague out and openning the other devices and tech not needed anymore (being there just for the landing purpouse) acessing to use for whatewer needed. Actually it would look then like an oval triangle-pyramid. (the paraschute can be replaced by rockets, that would possably dig up a little hole into the ground too itself in some extend)
The Mother-ship would just hawe them stored on the belly , or they actually would be a part of theyr construction itself (may say, the capsules would be actually in those wessels whyte other equipement needed to get things on ground be done and the ship itself would have just the structure to travell the space (as an "dragging rocket")).

That way of construction would ewen see to be possible whyte our actuall technologies as well.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20