Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Game Assets - What should the vehicles look like?  (Read 201539 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Game Assets - What should the vehicles look like?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 02:47:44 pm »

Actually, I was thinking about triangular shapes recently. Toyed with a flying saucer, or an oddly shaped space shuttle thingy. Something that will be mostly a kernel of future city with some wings and nose attached. Not the right size though.

A cool tunnel tunneler machine I found while looking for means of boring the pod into earth :)

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 03:48:02 pm »

I'm using blender for modeling, texturing, programming glsl shader, ...
the kernel based idea is quite interesting. The sketch of cameni should be enough for first attempts i guess.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 04:09:30 pm »

I would like to see a lookout tower that extends above the ship after landing. Not sure how high it should go but high enough to give a 360 degree view of the surroundings, marking the base location from a distance and providing a place to mount the spotlights to light the base.

May have to do some sketches. Note I am horrible at sketching.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 02:06:40 am »

May heaven forgive me for what I am about to show. I always pictured a final base to be something like this. Whether it sprouts from a ship or is built I do not care. I had initially thought of just Wire Fences around the perimeter but with the thought being 1,000 people more secure walls would be needed.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 02:25:41 am »

Thats looking like an airport-tower. Mhh... it should be more futuristic in my opinion. That means a bigger tower and a cooler heli-pad ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 03:54:08 am »

Quote from: necro
Thats looking like an airport-tower. Mhh... it should be more futuristic in my opinion. That means a bigger tower and a cooler heli-pad ;)

It's terrible I know. It is also open for complete adjustment and modernization. I after all have no talent when it comes to photoshop or in this case PaintShopPro7. But the conning tower concept in the middle of the woods gives that sense of domination over the landscape. And if you could wouldn't you right now want one attached to your house. I would.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 04:04:50 am »

Yes, a tower should be definitely there. The whole base would be larger though, even the initial one. There could be an airstrip inside a fenced area, and some basic buildings.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 04:29:16 am »

Wow. So are you assuming every player that purchases the game would have a similarly large starting base? Would it be a pre-built cookie-cutter design or would some amount of customization to the landscape or placement be allowed or required. I can't see a mountain base fitting the same as another or as one on the plains or near the ocean. I am sure you could just level it with the pad creator if you wanted however.

If I can reference one thing from minecraft that should be duplicated it is the chosen placement of structures based on personal preference. Get the landing "pod" down but let the player spend some time to choose the spawn location of the helipad and runway and the deployment of the pod's resources. It doesn't have to be a large scouting area, just enough to seem like you are giving a choice to the player. God knows I had spent hours wandering around the endless squares of Minecraft looking for that perfect spot to settle. http://bit.ly/i6Ai83

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 04:54:47 am »

So there is the question in which way you generally want to handle object-handling. Will you provide static models or will you implement some dynamic object handling which includes resizing, retexturing, ... like in overgrowth or project offset?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 05:09:06 am »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Wow. So are you assuming every player that purchases the game would have a similarly large starting base?
Once you get your hands on Outerra you'll know why.
If we only count one quarter of total land area (148,940,000 km²) to be habitable, it will be 37,235,000 km². How many players could be there? Even if the whole WoW nation came with their 12 million players, each one could get 3.1 square kilometers (~1.2 square mile). Of course, in game there's more land habitable than in RL, and most of the players are socializers who will join an alliance and share the land.

With 10,000 players it would mean 3723 km² of arable land or 14,894 km² of any land for everyone.

As for the customization - mostly everything should be customizable, the design of base and infrastructure is player's to decide. Until there's a building generator that can generate say a storehouse, hangars, and any other buildings from a template with player defining what area it will occupy and changing the layout, there will be probably static models initially.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 05:30:07 am »

Do you have a stil for the buildings in your mind? Do you know the game Outpost and Outpost 2? Your concepts fit their gameideas well. And i loved outpost 2. This game in your engine would impact the gamernations. And me.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 06:19:22 am »

Oh I know how much space we are talking here. I even did that math a while back. Its just that getting from one part of the base to the other on foot will take 10 minutes at that size. Now you need to import a golf cart to ferry me to and from my helipad to sleep quarters to motorpool.

I also try to think strategically. It is much harder to defend a base that size. Defend from what you might ask? Well I am sure something is trying to kill me. I would most likely leave the airstrip outside of the fenced in zone and just install a gate to the hangers. If possible.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 06:32:31 am »

Quote from: necro
Do you have a stil for the buildings in your mind? Do you know the game Outpost and Outpost 2? Your concepts fit their gameideas well. And i loved outpost 2. This game in your engine would impact the gamernations. And me.
No exact idea for them yet. To keep it simple, apart from the separator/replicator/generator complex we will need some auxiliary buildings to store incoming ores and produced materials, some hangars and terminals .. it will be more clear as time goes.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 06:49:48 am »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Oh I know how much space we are talking here. I even did that math a while back. Its just that getting from one part of the base to the other on foot will take 10 minutes at that size. Now you need to import a golf cart to ferry me to and from my helipad to sleep quarters to motorpool.
Nobody will force you to design your base in a way that it would take you 10 minutes to cross between the buildings. Or that you have to have an airstrip enclosed there. I was only trying to say that there should be enough material initially to make such an outpost. Although, with such a large world, it would be handy to have a futuristic hoverboard that would help you move around or run away. Flying low above the terrain is awesome, I wish I were able to do it in RL :)

There should be also some turrets that can be placed around the base and mining sites, that will shoot the things that are trying to kill you :)
Consuming energy from generators.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 06:55:10 am »

sounds like Avatar. A big planet with bad animals fighting against you :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20