Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Outerra Style engines  (Read 5482 times)

HiFlyer

Outerra Style engines
« on: February 13, 2014, 05:21:33 pm »

As Outerra has progressed, I see other engines of this type appearing more and more often, generally with many of the same features but different approaches and emphasis. The creator of the Video I'm posting seems to be very very skilled however, and I wonder what the Outerra team would think of some of his work.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:20:11 am by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: Outerra Style engines
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:37:13 am »

Have to say, that the sound-effects are a great environment builder ... would be nice to see that coming to OT too someday (hawing them also in function whyte wind-speed correction). Also, the humidity-induced visibility fog-out during rain was nicely done (maybe too much at some instances, but mostly really good). That guy has done some good job there indeed.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:52:57 am »

creator of the Video I'm posting seems to be very very skilled

nice find, interesting what this guy is doing
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

DeanosBeano

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:40:49 am »

Nice find
ray-marching its nothing to compare in terms of like for like , but i guess if that could overlay the geometry of Outerra and save some cpu and or bandwidth in the network world  maybe a distance view thats generated in thhe ray-marching way and close as in outerra  ? it  would be something to look at , not sure its comparable tho until i see a situation of interaction with geomtetry of the world etc .

of course not knowing much maybe outerra already combines the approaches :) .

BTW i tried the 122kb .exe which is apparently an old version , it nearly smoked my PC /GPU lol hopefully its more optimised by now .

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:02:58 am by DeanosBeano »

billy336

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:06:45 pm »

i found another cool engine. youve maybe heard of it. its called I-Novea Engine

Its pretty similar to the outerra Engine. It also includes some cool Weather effects an interplanetary terrain ;-)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 12:08:57 pm »

Yep, looks good, one of the nicer fractal terrain implementations. The terrain reminds me a lot of my early experiments, all those characteristic patterns of pure fractal worlds.

aposter

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 08:32:02 pm »

I think it's cool that more and more new engines with support for procedural terrain generation and large worlds are getting made. The more options we get the more competition we will see which will lead to even more advanced engines. I'd like to see the voxel technology/rendering make a comeback too, considering the advantages they have and that modern computers (and consoles) have enough memory and raw compute power to handle them well (not only low-res like in the Commanche/Delta Force/Outcast eras).