Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: The problem with all these planet engines...  (Read 10486 times)

online|offworld

The problem with all these planet engines...
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:07:44 pm »

Hi Guys,

First up, just to be clear, congratulations on an awesome project that is truly beautiful.

Having said that, I got to thinking this morning about the various different real-time planet projects out there (i.e. your project, infinity, ebrunetons stuff etc).  The whole point of them is that they do in real-time what already existing apps like terragen can't right?  Terragen can't work in real-time it can only output to rendered video.  Then I realized, for all the real-time planet stuff I've seen on the web, it's always been video too (albeit screen caps of real-time, but at my end the functional equivalent of pre-rendered video).

o_O

So until one of these engines actually releases an interactive demo, or god forbid, an actual playable game, all they actually achieve from the audiences point of view is the same result (a rendered video) that can already be achieved by terragen or vue etc except that they got there by going the (very) long way around the mountain.  

But maybe I'm just griping because I'm realizing that stuff like this just takes years to evolve and I'll be an old man before any of it reaches a point where it becomes accessible to people like me ;)

Jangalomph

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:31:56 pm »

Well I think the demo of this will be out before we know it! I say just releasing this as it is wouldn't be such a bad idea seeing as you can already fly helicopters in it!  :D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:12:08 pm »

Its up to AMD/ATi to fix their sh_t and then we can all try the "demo" or throw money at these guys and be part of the developmental process of an actual playable game. The MineCraft strategy only with less fail coding.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Jangalomph

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:36:46 pm »

Yeah, AMD/ATI broke quite a bit of the newest drivers..  :mad: