Outerra Apps > Games

Physics Interactions

(1/2) > >>

ZeosPantera:
Just wondering with the current physics engine, that I am assuming will remain for the game, what kind of physics interactions can we expect to be used.

The question stems from my friends and I driving around a 40km African track http://bit.ly/hrQdj2 and he fell into a river and got stuck. We joked about throwing him a tow rope, but I would suspect that type of thing would be possible with an engine like Bullet and some simple tool implementation. I imagine/hope the game would not simply auto-flip an overturned tatra because we have come this far for realism, why not go all the way.

Hitting objects and object/prop physics is also a bit of a mystery. I am sure fences would have some sort of value associated with them so that they could be fell by a large force, same with trees.

What other forces / constraints do you think we will see for the game? The ability to tow or drag things could be useful in a mining/vehicles simulator.

C. Shawn Smith:
LOL ... someone needs to teach you guys how to drive :P

You bring up some interesting points, though.  Just what kind of physics will ultimately drive the engine as a whole?  What about "airlifting" vehicles across country?  Or parachuting out an airplane? :)  Or the ultimate parachute jump:  Board the "mothership" and "dive" out the airlock, free-falling to the ground.

That last bit is going to be a sport one day ... diving from Low Earth Orbit to the ground.  It's been done once or twice already.  What an incredible experience THAT would be!

ZeosPantera:
how about just the ability to pick up items. Small ones by hand but a crane or forklift for larger ones.

I cant imagine playing for long periods of time if everything is just menu/magic driven.

cameni:
Well, I'm sure everyone would welcome if there was an advanced physics for vehicles and object interaction, but let's be realistic - it will take a lot of time. Initially we are after making a strategic world building game with first person elements, so you can drive the vehicles yourself but it's not meant to be a vehicle simulator like RoR. I mean - not initially, not to a depth.

Though, some things at this level can be done if they will be necessary for the basic game play. Which I thought would be about transporting stuff and exploring and maybe shooting something.

ZeosPantera:
Not quite sure what you mean by advanced physics for vehicles. I assume the driving/flying physics should be pretty accurate from what has been seen in videos. Are you referring to hitbox physics?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version