Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Just another post on Avsim  (Read 9495 times)

HiFlyer

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

thx_nb

Re: Just another post on Avsim
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 01:04:34 pm »

Can't get into that website without being registered.

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 01:07:49 pm »

Can't get into that website without being registered.

Yeah, they started limiting things cause the server was being overloaded by casual surfers. Kinda sucks that it was necessary, but it's a worthwhile place to join.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

TimXWB

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:29:03 am »

But its always a good idea to make some posts about outerra there.. just to get some attention :)

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:56 am »

But its always a good idea to make some posts about outerra there.. just to get some attention :)

Well, yes. But along with the enthusiasm there is an awful lot of skepticism as well, which I sometimes find strange.

There was once a post there where somebody claimed to be making a replacement for FSX.

That's pretty much all he said. (and nothing really since then) No pictures, demo, proof or anything, and the forum went wild.

Here's an impressive work in progress, even in the alpha stage, and while there is interest, its curiously muted.

Go figure.

Most of it seems to be that people feel Outerra development is just taking much too long to be taken seriously. In other words, vaporware with an interesting demo.

I continue to hope not.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 01:11:58 pm »

Well since you can right now fly a plane as refined as the Basler to any airport you create I'd call that absolute proof of non-vaporware status.

The problem is those flight sim nuts (no offense) want a billion dollar company to show up and do everything for them. In the years I have been following Outerra all the flight sim posts (usually outside of these forums) are full of people waiting for some other large entity to pick up the engine and put in all the cities and airports for them. They have no faith in their own community to add these things out of the goodness of their hearts. I know flight sim modders exist because some are right here but the community doesn't believe they can do it.

After being lodged in the Sim-Racing and Military-Sim communities of rFactor and ArmA for so many years all I can think is how poor a huge company taking over the development would be. A community of modders is everything in a situation like this. Thousands and thousands of individuals only paid in spirit for doing what they love doing. Whether that is coding and modeling a race car, scripting AI movements or placing airports around the globe it is all do-able by people usually way more interested in doing so than a company employee.

Will it be slower? Maybe, actually. Imagine 20 people being paid to work 9-5 importing airports around the globe Vs 500 individuals using all their free time, day and night to do the same thing.

What OT needs to do is find those people willing to work for nothing more than praise and attention and let them build the world we all want.

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/list.cfm?cat=Cars&type=All

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma2_files_addons
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

ddenn

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 01:59:41 pm »

but the community doesn't believe they can do it.
And for a reason, for the past time not much were done for flightsim modders. We still don't have tools for cockpits, systems, lighting, instruments etc. We don't have wind, weather, clouds, rivers, lakes, biomes etc. And scenery modders still don't have any instruments to share their creations, other than replacing the whole Earth cache folder. Nothing of that could be done by modders, only OT team can make it, and only if the team have interest in it, which seems unlikely.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:14:05 pm by ddenn »
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:11:16 pm »

Things like that will be sorted. I mean the Basler has the cockpit setup with all moving dials. Systems (presumably Radar, tower communication etc) is going to require that outside influence of modders assisted by the creators and lighting was hinted at in the other post http://i5.minus.com/i12YTnPF0XBqQ.jpg.

Also the sending of large pieces of modified land with models is a must add feature. I am sure it will take the form of an OTX file that will easily add to the engine whole cities and airports etc.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

ddenn

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 02:24:02 pm »

That's a lot of 'will' worlds :) Simmers (and not only flight simmers, but car simmers, train simmers etc, war people) want to believe, but the time is going fast with too little changes. If the team don't have time, they probably need hire more people, if they don't have funding they probably need start kikstarter campaign or find some investors. For now it looks like they have other things in mind, and just not interested (even in Anteworld game, there's nothing new about it I think for two years now?).

P.s. If you ever tried to start turboprop plane from cold&dark state in any flightsim, msfs, fsx or x-plane, you wouldn't be at all impressed with couple of moving dials. I mean Basler is a good model, with a lot of work put in it, but it's really far from flightsim because of OT limits.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:29:05 pm by ddenn »
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 04:24:45 pm »

What OT needs to do is find those people willing to work for nothing more than praise and attention and let them build the world we all want.

.. i second that ... dont think there will be any classic or payware team sim work till alpha gets finito-engine. Also, free-workers, if they have the skillz, they can mostly go into things that normally developers dont bother due to investor issues. ... to speed things up, we need the basic income to crack them. :D ...

Doe, people too should think about - DCS started too whyte the lock-on series and even before the Flanker series, witch were at basics of PC developement itself - it took a lot of time too, but started, when id was going into it. Jumping into another engine is a heawy thing to do too and starters still need to get into the engine aether, its not like there will be an full-click n system simulator for the Eurocopter a half year after OT gets to version 1.0. ... ( there isnt someone doing it right now in secret, is it ?  ;D )
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:53:38 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

servia

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 04:47:33 am »

I'm with dden, the first thing what i thought after viewing Outerra trailer was "Wow! ¿Can i script it?", i searched for an API, or any scripting language references and nothing. i've also checked the forum, because i thought it was strange that there were no real mods already, well, you can't do anything unless models.

I would give as example Garry's Mod game. the entire game was a mod which allows LUA scripting and has + 10.000 mods on newer version and + 80.000 on older versions.
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=4000

That's why i didn't buy Outerra, no frequent updates and no possibility to give it some life. Also latests blog posts don't point to make it more open, just more closed features. I'm really sure that if you could script/mod it, proc buildings where already added months ago.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 01:42:06 pm »

I'm with dden, the first thing what i thought after viewing Outerra trailer was "Wow! ¿Can i script it?", i searched for an API, or any scripting language references and nothing. i've also checked the forum, because i thought it was strange that there were no real mods already, well, you can't do anything unless models.

I would give as example Garry's Mod game. the entire game was a mod which allows LUA scripting and has + 10.000 mods on newer version and + 80.000 on older versions.
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=4000

That's why i didn't buy Outerra, no frequent updates and no possibility to give it some life. Also latests blog posts don't point to make it more open, just more closed features. I'm really sure that if you could script/mod it ...

... yes, an API may take some time to wait for. Biomes and clouds take a lot of time to make there - maybe lightning (the multiple light-source stuff there) has to be done first for them to run normally when implemented in full planned potential and they may have some problems there - or working on other/external project on bigger scale lately. But you're right, for extended modding, its still not quite rife. Yet its more for model-builders ( and some light-headed wannabe-scriptwriters on vehicles like me. :D ) and light scenery-render for architect school-projects.

... proc. buildings where already added months ago.

... procedural buildings ? Did i oversleep that kind of update ? :D -- Not yet there, will be as Cameni wrote, but may have still a ton of work for that to go alpha/beta-OT.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

servia

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 01:50:53 pm »

... proc. buildings where already added months ago.

... procedural buildings ? Did i oversleep that kind of update ? :D -- Not yet there, will be as Cameni wrote, but may have still a ton of work for that to go alpha/beta-OT.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, my english is really bad. I wanted to say that if the engine had an open API, users would have already made proc buildings and many other things.

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 03:23:09 pm »

I think any mod created should be sent to the developers for review and quality testing. If they`re good enough, they make it in the next release!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.