Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Proper Rendering in Eyefinity/Multi-Monitor Configurations  (Read 9990 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Proper Rendering in Eyefinity/Multi-Monitor Configurations
« on: April 24, 2011, 03:56:06 am »

I have just recently joined the www.widescreengamingforum.com/ and while doing alot of FOV stuff I have determined the root cause and cure for all that ales eyefinity users.

Cameni, Does outerra have the ability to split screen or Picture in Picture? Could it show something on one half of the screen and perhaps behind you on the other half in full detail?

What I am getting at is if outerra can pull off rendering three (or more) separate view cones in a single frame and have those cones be adjustable to match the triple-head or projection angles I believe it would be the first game engine to do so.

If your serious about pulling in the simulator crowd and/or the hardcore gamers THIS is what you make bulletpoint #1 for this engine.

A good example is that someday I would like to buy three HD projectors and project one to a front wall, one to the left wall at a 90° and one to a right wall at a 90° just sitting in the middle. Not possible with current games as only a single viewpoint can be rendered and it assumes it is being rendered on a huge flat surface so the side walls would be full of s___.

OT needs to ask how many screens, what FOV and what Angle the screens are to each other. Then has to split the display so that 3 separate and individual panes show their own perfect and precise image. No stretching, No skewing.

You get what I am saying?  [video][/video]

You wouldn't even need a three(5) monitor setup to test either. Just have it split on your 1920x1080 screen. If it can it should scale to the 5818x1920 setup above just fine.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 04:35:08 am »

We can do whatever we want (and what drivers permit us to do), and we plan to test these things in future. Along with stuff like stereoscopic projection, it's basically about splitting the viewports as you say, and using geometry shaders to invoke rendering to these viewports. With multiple cards in system it also becomes target for optimization (minimization of transfers between the cards), but it should work relatively easily as is.

With wider FOV covered (I mean actual FOV here, not stretched) the demands on GPU memory and performance rise, but that's only to be expected.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:09:43 am »

To me, Eyefinity is cool at first, but the gaps are just too distracting and take too much away from it.  :/
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »

Great to hear Cameni, I look forward to a demonstration of that in the future (probably far future)

As for you Jager. I thought the same thing until I saw this guys setup. I'm waiting to hear what type of displays they are. [video][/video]

Also I would just go projector..  OR if I really liked bezels I could try and eyefinity all three of my FW900's. http://ded.zenblue.net/FW900/fw900_cdrom.jpg
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

halobungie

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 12:54:15 pm »

Hello ZeosPantera,
can you give me the name from this Monitor's?
Best Thanks in Advance,
halobungie

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 02:12:35 pm »

when I know, you will know. Everyone in the videos comments are asking.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 04:09:18 pm »

It seems ISI released a similar system to what I defined several years ago but didn't include adjustments for the "sub-views"

http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84199

The FOV is also WAY too high regardless which is why people in that thread are complaining.

Lawrs

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 04:25:15 pm »

Quote from: Jagerbomber
To me, Eyefinity is cool at first, but the gaps are just too distracting and take too much away from it.  :/

No they don't

I've used eyefinity for 4 months now and I hardly even notice the gaps anymore. it's just when I'm not playing games.