Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Advice for learning C++.  (Read 6191 times)

Cronin

• Programmer and Game Developer.
Advice for learning C++.
« on: May 04, 2014, 12:37:51 pm »

Hey guys,

I am trying to get into serious programming to get ready to use this engine when it is released to create realistic simulators for disaster scenarios. I want to do this and I have 2 years to focus on learning these languages the languages been C++ and Lua. Can you guys tell me how you all learnt to code these languages to such a high level. I would love to hear all advice and guidance thanks guy's.
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram @1666Mhz, Gigabyte Gtx 770 4Gb Vram, Gigabyte Sniper G1 mobo, Razer Naga 2014 mmo mouse, Razer deathstalker essential keyboard.

giucam

• It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
Re: Advice for learning C++.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 04:55:34 pm »

I think the most important thing is getting your hands dirty. Try writing a program and when done start another one. But once you know the basics my suggestion is to get involved into an open source project, there are many high quality projects which can really teach you a lot. Personally, almost all i know about programming is thanks to open source.
That  said, 2 years is a tight time to master C++, imho. Lua is easy I think, but I've only used ancient Lua 3.1 alpha, not sure how it is now.
ResidualVM 0.1.1 is OUT! www.residualvm.org

Cronin

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 05:23:22 pm »

Thanks for your advice. Do you think practising in game engine's is a good idea. Like scripting some ai behaviours or the like and maybe testing it out. Do you have any open source projects that are good to get involved in. How do I implement code into let's say Cryengine to get some functionality?
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram @1666Mhz, Gigabyte Gtx 770 4Gb Vram, Gigabyte Sniper G1 mobo, Razer Naga 2014 mmo mouse, Razer deathstalker essential keyboard.

PaulMoffat

• Modeller
    • Paul Moffat's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 08:38:46 pm »

Video tutorials such as from 3DBuzz.com are pretty useful. I bought their C++ Training Package with the OPENGL CDs when they were for sale some years back. From what I can tell though, they are available for free now.

I've personally read tonnes of real books and e-books on C++ and related subjects and have found video tutorials to be quite effective. If you cannot take part in some formal training program related to programming, visual training videos help because they allow you to see how the projects are developed along with the hints, tips and humor given from the trainers in the video. It creates a positive atmosphere that also helps to overcome that sometimes lonely feeling ya get when your on your computer teaching yourself something new.

Of course that comes with the territory but sometimes it helps to feel part of a group, even if just virtually :)

Either way good luck. And most importantly DON'T GIVE UP. I've been programming since I was 8 years old and I don't consider myself to be fully trained. Its a life long commitment especially with a language such as C++.
Who said there were no real predators in New Zealand? Us Kiwis don't just fly, we bite hard too!

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 02:55:24 am »

I teached everything by myself. I bought some books and read them. In my period of learning the internet didnt guided you to success. So at least you had to learn it with discipline. And please, dont be a fool. There is no right way from n00b to pro. There is only one king rule: Do it. Do it all the time. Its like learning a language. Its exactly the same. Without vocabulary you cannot speak the language. Without the grammar you cannot form correct sentences which a compiler could understand.

But to be a real programmer you have to learn the thinking of programmers. They can abstract and think modulary. And this you only can learn by making mistakes over and over. The most important thing on you success is to solve tasks. Simple mini projects which train you abstract thinking and getting firmer with the language. And they must be easy. You cannot create an AI in two years.

giucam

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 03:13:29 am »

Thanks for your advice. Do you think practising in game engine's is a good idea. Like scripting some ai behaviours or the like and maybe testing it out. Do you have any open source projects that are good to get involved in. How do I implement code into let's say Cryengine to get some functionality?

I don't have much experience in game scripting, but I'd tend to think it's not much helpful for learning C++, it abstracts away too many things. As for projects, I don't know many ones related to game development, but you could look at Ogre3D. Probably the most high quality project I know is Qt, but it's not related to games.

Cronin

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 02:49:56 pm »

Thanks guy's for all of your advice. I want to focus mainly on games and I want to help contribute to outerra in the future. I have heard of ogre3d and I will look into it today. Any links for that other project you mentioned.? So you think getting involved in a community project is the way to go?

giucam

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »

www.qt-project.org, though as i said it has little to do with games. Other game projects can be OpenTTD for example, or ScummVM and ResidualVM (though those are more like game archeology).

Cronin

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 03:58:31 am »

Okay. So where exactly is the best place to learn the basics right up to the intermediate level. How should I go about learning it?