Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: A few Radio Telescopes  (Read 9878 times)

Planets

A few Radio Telescopes
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:41:10 pm »

Now you can make your very own Very Large Array!

Models are from the NASA 3D Resources site - http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/3d_resources/models.html. I also added angled and straight dish rotations for your convenience. This was my first ever modding/3D modelling attempt for any game ever, learned a hell of a whole lot from this experience, have fun!

Deep Space Network high-gain antennae/radio telescopes 34M and 70M dish antenna diameter versions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/czwvzvsv9rhr385/Radio%20Telescopes.zip

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:47:07 pm by Planets »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: A few Radio Telescopes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 12:45:42 am »

That is perhaps some of the coolest stuff I have seen on Outerra to date.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:57:49 am »

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 01:21:41 am »

Wow, nice post Planets ! ... Would be amazing to simulate real world data collection from them. Kind of a real-time tracking of their states and data collected if the observatory would be for that kind of public interest.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

M7

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:26:30 am »

Nice! I wonder if these these could be animated ... as static object ? Maybe a very slow  perpetual rotation or somekind of script animation like ex. dish lean 5 degree, wait 10 min , rotate 30 degree (very slow) wait 10 min etc...

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:48:55 am »

That looks awesome.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Planets

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:37:54 am »

Thanks guys, glad you like them, I had so much damn fun just learning to import them and get it all working in game.

I wondered while making them if there was some way to get the antennae and and everything above the base to rotate like vehicle turrets but I don't know anything about that side of modding so at best I just imported 2 different variants of each.

I'm gonna work on importing more stuff from the NASA site now that I have a grasp on the basics.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:39:54 am by Planets »

AKNightHawk

• http://www.moddb.com/games/assault-knights-reign-of-steel
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 03:40:34 am »

Wow. I got to say that they look awesome. Is there any way by chance you could export either a 3Ds or OBJ version of these models with textures? I would love to use these in my own project. If you would allow?
Assault Knights:Reign of Steel
Donate to the Assault Knights project
I always think everything is better with mechs.

Planets

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 12:09:40 pm »

Wow. I got to say that they look awesome. Is there any way by chance you could export either a 3Ds or OBJ version of these models with textures? I would love to use these in my own project. If you would allow?

Thanks but these are not my models or textures I just downloaded them from the NASA 3D resources site into Blender, I only know how to export correctly as .dae file so far, I don't know how to properly export as .fbx or .3ds and what settings to use for that yet, I don't even have 3DS Max on my PC yet so I don't know if it would export correctly.

However the models that I downloaded from the site had two issues, the larger had a see through texture behind the dish in the middle visible only in Outerra once exported so I had to fix that with a simple cylinder, and the other smaller model wasn't displaying all the textures right after downloading which took a hell of a lot of time to find the problem and fix it so I'm uploading those fixed versions now so that they only need to be exported with Blender to .fbx or .3ds with the correct export settings and it should be fine.

Here you go, hope it helps-
EDIT: The textures were screwed up again somehow on the 34M version so I had to fix and reupload it again, everything should be in working order now-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ee8lhd1zzipoky/DSN%2070m.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxjid8tagyuxprk/DSN%2034fix.zip
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:31:04 pm by Planets »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 01:09:47 pm »

Thanks for the upgrade.

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:15:45 am »

where do I put those textures?
Great stuff btw! I really like it! :)

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 11:47:31 am »

Do they come with Jodie Foster?  ;-)

Planets

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 01:09:57 pm »

where do I put those textures?
Great stuff btw! I really like it! :)

Sorry not sure what you mean? I reuploaded it again before because the textures weren't exporting correctly so if you redownload from the link it should be fine.

Though I am I'm still trying to work out why Blender doesn't export with textures properly on most models I import/open, it's tricky.

Do they come with Jodie Foster?  ;-)

Even better, Carl Sagan!  ;D

*Carl Sagan not included with this model*  :(