Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: How do I set this up? Wheels with Rim that only turn.  (Read 3814 times)

jonslynn

How do I set this up? Wheels with Rim that only turn.
« on: May 22, 2014, 11:00:10 pm »

I'm not sure how to rig or set this up so that the top rim object only turns side to side.  It should move with the wheels like up and down.  But not just turn like the wheels.  Is this hard or complex to do.  If I cant figure it out I will just remove them.

Thanks,  any help or input would help.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: How do I set this up? Wheels with Rim that only turn.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 01:34:58 am »

So what part turns? The rubber and the VVVVV's and not the rest?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 02:05:02 am »

You need to add an blank-mesh - just make a copy of the upper part, delete all vertices there are in it (its just to have the origin/pivot point at the same place - also, mind to keep the mesh name noted somehow for the later scripting (just add a "BLANK" word to it)) and parent the original to this blank. Then make an additional movement script for the "copy-mesh", witch will have the height set as the wheel-height (see wheel data acquisition in the OT-Importer-wiki). - the idea is, you can have just one movement/rotation script on one mesh, so the blanks have to be created to combine the different movements/rotations - but keep in mind that all the parented stuff does them in accordance to it.

- So this one first makes the blank one go up and down thanks to the wheel-height data and then the parented one (the real object mesh - witch moves up and down too, cause its parented to the blank) has a separate script for the steering rotation (witch you already has).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 02:08:28 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

jonslynn

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 04:23:46 am »

Thanks PytonPago.  I will keep that in mind when I import it.