Outerra Engine > Ideas & Suggestions & Questions

Road editor enhancements feedback thread

(1/8) > >>

cameni:
We are going to update the road generator and editor in a short while, and I'd like to get some feedback and collect the requirements for both the base road system and the editor.

Some of the planned extensions:
[*] separable parameters for left/right road side
[*] customizable marking system and road profiles
[*] curbs and sidewalks
[*] aging
Feel free to list and discuss whatever you think the road system needs to be able to produce. Some things like the road posts, guardrails etc will be handled by a different system, but the definition for them will be likely included in the road data and thus in the editor.

HiFlyer:
Bridges, if not now then eventually, and some way to do overpasses, unless all roads are intended to be flat ribbons.

Road markings tend to become "smeared" relatively close to the camera, which is not so good on runways. Any way to push things out a bit?

Jagerbomber:
Awesome!

How hard would it be to have it naturally make merging lanes on itself, like would you have to have a separate segment designated to the merge (a merge tag/setting?) with the various merging options, or could it kind of do it on its own by a set # of lanes? and then the user would have to adjust the width of the segments to have it look right, so that the lanes aren't too small, and the lanes would adjust to the set road width.  But then that would be an issue with it not knowing which side of the road has more lanes...  :-\ hmm

But I also know there tends to be an issue that happens with lines on curves where they tend to distort and somewhat disappear in parts, and that might happen here too.  And yeah, the AF (I think it is) on roads at a distance needs work.  Or LOD idk.

Oh yeah... and then there's the issue with needing (or wanting...) turn direction markings on lanes at intersections...  Is it possible at all to have settings, like marking settings, like a drop-down for each separate lane (varying by the number of lanes), so there isn't like an insane amount of intersection choices in one list, or not?  If this is possible, you could choose the line markings on each side of each lane as well (like when you need to state where the center line is, like in the problem mentioned above).

I mean... I guess technically you could kind of do this by having a ton of separate roads next to eachother for each lane... but I'd think we'd want to avoid that. ?

wayne57:
intersections are a must and right and left cut offs

thanks

wayne57

cameni:
Markings are likely going to be rendered separately (or in addition to a new algorithmic baked-in AF), because the sharp contrast and tiled terrain rendering limits AF and makes the terrain blurred at an angle. In any case only the common marking styles will be included with the road data, and there will be a vector drawing overlay for painting stuff on the terrain.

Merging and intersection creating is a task for the editor; in a cumbersome way it can be achieved manually (although the current system has some precision limitations). We plan to automatically create a connection or intersection as soon as you connect road to another road's node. Merging lanes will probably require some more hints.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version