Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Road editor enhancements feedback thread  (Read 72119 times)

HiFlyer

Re: Road editor enhancements feedback thread
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 04:36:17 pm »

Procedural bridges, auto-placement of streetlights, tunnels.

One thing that could be implemented right now:
When a road crosses another one, a spline point shpuld be made on the xroad, that has the same elevation as the first road. This way the crossing will be level.

Yes, yes, and yes.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 04:24:13 am »

I think some improvements can be done with the way player have control on the transitional area parameter. I have not really a clear idea of how the engine handle this element so I'm gonna try to explain my suggestion based on how the engine currently allow us to modify roads parameters.
Transitional tool should be splited in 3 different parameters:
  • Road bed : next to the border, before the transitionnal area. It will be a way to flatten the terrain based on the current position of the road. In short, it will extand the smoothed surface of the road without extanding the road or the border itself. It can be considered as a second border, wich will always use the current terrain texture. On some situations, this may be really useful (airports, mostly).
  • Transitionnal to terrain : what the current parameters does : creating a zone where terrain and road elevation merge seemlessly.
  • Transitionnal to vegetation: In forests areas, the only way to suppress trees next to the road is to increase the current transitionnal area wich can cause problems with terrain on some specific situations. My suggestion is to handle this parameter with a different information. I don't know if roads parameters have to be fully hierarchical or if "free" parameters are allowed, wich will be perfect for this one.

There is also an issue with last segments not blending really well with terrain. If there is a good solution to hide this, it would be great  :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 07:18:03 am »

There is also an issue with last segments not blending really well with terrain. If there is a good solution to hide this, it would be great  :)
Lead-out segment is for that, the node before the last should be set to lead-out. This will be automatic in the reworked version.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 12:14:47 pm »

Lead-out segment is for that, the node before the last should be set to lead-out. This will be automatic in the reworked version.

Well, I never realised that  :) Thanks, it will be usefull !

HiFlyer

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 05:25:47 pm »

After toying with the road tool, I think really powerful options would be a display of compass heading, and some prebuilt sections you could just click on to create, such as adjustable curves, 90 degree angles, intersections etc and automatic joining.

Should it ever become possible to make overpasses/highways, the current height circle would be excellent, with some sort of drop-down to enter the desired height above ground of individual nodes.

Where roads join, it should be possible to have customization's like straight "T" joins, flared joins, etc.

Maybe a dial where you could hand-rotate sections of road to preview before final placement. The current road Outline tool would do fine for that.

Well!!

I think I'll stop there, for now, before I write a book!!  :o ;D
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

Varldsligist

• Long time x, first time y
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 07:44:27 am »

After toying with the road tool, I think really powerful options would be a display of compass heading, and some prebuilt sections you could just click on to create, such as adjustable curves, 90 degree angles, intersections etc and automatic joining.

Should it ever become possible to make overpasses/highways, the current height circle would be excellent, with some sort of drop-down to enter the desired height above ground of individual nodes.

Where roads join, it should be possible to have customization's like straight "T" joins, flared joins, etc.

Maybe a dial where you could hand-rotate sections of road to preview before final placement. The current road Outline tool would do fine for that.

Well!!

This! I seriously struggled with road placement before eventually getting it to work with poor result. A drag and drop system would do wonders. Right mb - hold - [shows you transparent road] and drop right mb to place road. And if you happen to have two roads crossing eachothers paths they would automatically merge. I basically want the road-building system from Sim City (half serious about this).

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 08:54:50 am »

Well!!

This! I seriously struggled with road placement before eventually getting it to work with poor result. A drag and drop system would do wonders. Right mb - hold - [shows you transparent road] and drop right mb to place road. And if you happen to have two roads crossing eachothers paths they would automatically merge. I basically want the road-building system from Sim City (half serious about this).

Maybe I haven't really understood your problem, but you can do exactly that with ctrl (hold)+left click. Each click add a new segment. A drag and drop system of road sections will make the tool way more efficient, I think.

HiFlyer

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 01:52:53 pm »

And a adjustable really wide area flattening tool.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 09:05:34 am »

A way to "spread" a node value to all the other nodes of a road would be cool too. For example, if you realize that your road width is too large, change the value for one node, use a "chain" button (like that one) to set the same value for each node of the road. The possibility to do it for each different property would be awesome :)

Apparently nobody mentioned it, but a "revert to previous state" option would be interesting too, in case of mistake  ::)

Haydz192

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 09:24:43 pm »

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like creating hairpin turns on a mountainside are REALLY steep on the actual curve. For example, if I want to make a sequence of hairpins to go up a mountain, when I generate the road, it looks fine from the air, but then when I go to drive it, the curves are a hell of a lot more vertical than I expected. It might just be me, I'm not the greatest at road generation yet, still got to learn a bunch of things about the road editor.
Cheers for your time.
Owns a Origin Jumpworks 300i in Star Citizen.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 06:02:35 am »

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like creating hairpin turns on a mountainside are REALLY steep on the actual curve. For example, if I want to make a sequence of hairpins to go up a mountain, when I generate the road, it looks fine from the air, but then when I go to drive it, the curves are a hell of a lot more vertical than I expected. It might just be me, I'm not the greatest at road generation yet, still got to learn a bunch of things about the road editor.
Cheers for your time.

Hairpin turns are difficult to handle in the current version of the road system and can generate strange bugs on the road (small spikes, weird blend between asphalt and dirt). The best solution is generaly to move a bit soem waypoints to make the turn a bit more larger and modify the transitional area of each node to get a good result. The closer you are from a hard turn, the more you want to reduce it, to avoid weird terrain blending between two road waypoints almost parallel from each other.

You can deal with road verticality by adjusting the elevation of each node. The slider limits you in a +/- 2m range, but each time you update the road ("make") it goes back to 0 so you can adjust each node again until you get a smoother climb.

Haydz192

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 01:00:11 am »

Hairpin turns are difficult to handle in the current version of the road system and can generate strange bugs on the road (small spikes, weird blend between asphalt and dirt). The best solution is generaly to move a bit soem waypoints to make the turn a bit more larger and modify the transitional area of each node to get a good result. The closer you are from a hard turn, the more you want to reduce it, to avoid weird terrain blending between two road waypoints almost parallel from each other.

You can deal with road verticality by adjusting the elevation of each node. The slider limits you in a +/- 2m range, but each time you update the road ("make") it goes back to 0 so you can adjust each node again until you get a smoother climb.
Ah, okay! Thanks so much for this! :D
Owns a Origin Jumpworks 300i in Star Citizen.

josem75

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 07:41:15 am »

Appart from the idea of make it the most automatic as posible, preparing it for the posibility of make all the roads of a region or country or even world from osm data. And it would be very dificult to solve things one by one, so maybe you need to develop a road tool with autosolve for certain problems as bad angles, no natural camber, etc. So all the roads generated by data are well done.
SO appart that i have one idea. The ARRAY tool.

This array tool would be useful for example for lights. You can make 2 kind of lights in archive, one for intercity roads (tipical big lights for big roads), and another for city roads (so the tipical inside city lights).
The array can control the distance from the road line, the distance between lights, and of course, have a default value for all until you touch it. So if you make all the region roads all the lights have same distances.
Even maybe its posible to automatic put the kind of light of city, or intercity. I dont know if osm data give information about if the road is runing inside the city or outside, or maybe u need another algorighm with city information.

Would be great being all automatic, that all the inside roads can have those lights (or almost all, maybe can add a tool for put a percentage, 100%, 80% so aleatory some parts of the roads city dont have any light. (and after you can manually retouch).
Also automatic intercity lights but not in all the road, just near some city by 5KM or so. because its not normal that ALL the intercity roads has lights.. But maybe yes when you are coming in a city, or coming out, or even crossing the city around by a big road.

This tool maybe can add also a posibility of change the model light base. So you can put a diferent model in certains road you select.
A better system than actually for select roads would be necesary also.

This array also can add more things than lights. For example the signals for snow roads. Those can be tuned on over 2000 Meters altitude or so by default and anybody can retouch the value.
And more things than somebody can think. For example telephone Poles. Maybe not in all but this one you can add manually to some roads you want. So people can make roads similar to the real ones with those tools.
If data can determine if its a intercity little road (not big) or a rural area, can also have a percentage to cover roads with those telephone poles, and then posibility to add manually zones.

Also for example trees in certain urbanization area, etc.  This array tool can be almost unlimited. Connecting the distances data and archive data with the 3d object to array, and a system where nothing touch with another object.

This would be completed when your lights system is finished for the engine. So those lights can properly be turned On at nights during the game.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:08:39 am by josem75 »

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 04:45:53 am »

any update on this yet? was started 10 months ago now and now we have light, the lamp posts would be great along side of the road! :) so any ETA? keep up the good work
Intel 6 core i7 Xeon - 4930k @3.40 GHz
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO
Patriot 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD 250GB + SATA 500GB + SATA 1TB

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 08:44:33 am »

Well now that dynamic lights are indeed a thing I don't see this being impossible.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo
Pages: 1 [2] 3