Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ocean sunset  (Read 40420 times)

Grind and Click

Ocean sunset
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 05:54:23 am »

You know, i dont think 14 gig (considering most hard drives atm) is asking too much to cover this terrain at a lower level. Infact its the next logical step for games to get to around this big.

Hard drives are dealt with by the Terabyte these days.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Ocean sunset
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 10:52:46 am »

Quote from: Grind and Click
You know, i dont think 14 gig (considering most hard atm) is asking too much to cover this terrain at a lower level. Infact its the next logical step for games to get to around this big.

Hard drives are dealt with by the Terabyte these days.

Not to derail the original topic, but I have 5 harddrives (4 internal +1 external).  All but one internal and the external are full, and the other two are rapidly approaching.  About 1.5TB total.  Video editing is a hobby, and I have to use uncompressed formats to get good detail.  I plan on making a LOT of Outerra videos ... I imagine in just a short time, I'm going to be sitting in line at Best Buy with a bunch of new HDs in hand lol.  14GB is a LOT of space for me ... but Outerra would be worth it.

However, Cameni's pointed out that it will probably take months to collect ALL of that data, if not longer.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Ocean sunset
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 01:37:27 pm »

I will attempt to stay on topic and discuss hard drives...

I love the sunset.

I have 5 HD's internal. (120, 320, 500, 500, 500) Then I have an e-sata Toaster that I swap out a 1TB (full of movies) and a 1.5TB (Dump for internal overflow).. BUT I have another 1.5TB that I put in my brothers machine as a "gift" that I happen to use as network storage. All the internal drives are full except for the ~100 gigs I leave free in my fastest 500 for FRAPS recordings. You really don't need to leave video completely uncompressed you know smith. Just give it an un-goddy high bitrate in H.264. I use 3500 for my 720P stuff so if your rendering 1080 and want near lossless 12-15K would probably suffice. As for OT. I was willing to store the 192 GB uncompressed dataset if I had to. What's 200 gigs if most of my enjoyment for the day will depend on it?

Waves are pretty, I am topical.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Ocean sunset
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 01:50:03 pm »

Yeah, let's stay on topic .. or two :D

I'm currently processing new data, should have a global coverage. Unlike till now when the north above 60° was using 1km basis. Seems the dataset will grow to ~17GB or slightly more as the result. Doesn't matter much I guess when it will be downloaded & cached on demand.

Wow, sunset :cool:

Jagerbomber

Ocean sunset
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 04:00:23 pm »

I honestly don't know what the file(s) for a dataset is, but is it not just a (really big) text file with a crapload of values in it?

WOO! Limited modding experience FTL!  :P
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Ocean sunset
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 04:17:57 pm »

Unprocessed, uncompressed video get a compression to H.264 eventually, then the old uncompressed are deleted.  But in general, working with the uncompressed data allows for finer adjustment to the editing process than using compressed.  I just have to remember to delete the uncompressed when I'm done with it, unless I'm going to use it for another project.

Er, yeah, I meant to say 17GBs is cool (no, didn't stray off topic, honest!)  Hmm, maybe tomorrow I'll start a video editing/HD/multitopic thread  :lol:
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]