Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rivers  (Read 24919 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Rivers
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 01:28:31 am »

It does flow now (in the video it didn't yet), in constant speed. Waterfalls will have to be a separate implementation between vertically separated nodes, right now it would just create a water slide of sorts.

Immersion doesn't work yet, that will work after lakes and deferred water implementation.

Acetone

• Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 04:02:45 am »

I'm not sure if it's the case, but in the video it looks like the river is going up when there is a small slope. Is it possible to make every new node automatically at the same level or lower than the ASL altitude of the previous one ?

Really nice to have water flow :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 06:16:09 am »

Yes it will go uphill if you place the nodes so, and a height limiter is a good idea. It will probably have to reevaluate the whole road in case you lower the leading nodes after the initial placement.

aWac9

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 07:48:38 am »

it might be better to use physical models to simulate water.
water like clouds are tremendous value.  :-X

here the water runs down the rock
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:15:39 am by aWac9 »

aWac9

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 11:18:55 am »

Aquí el rio Lleva Mucho cuadal y Energía,, el agua se precipita.  :-X :-X

KW71

• Outerra Developer
  • Love OT!
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 11:00:46 pm »

That looks amazing!!!
"A man who is contented with what he has done, will never become famous for what he will do".

aWac9

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 08:26:29 am »

In my opinion the design of the rivers in outerra do not correspond with the high quality of the land and the sea. The rivers in outerra would give a significant added value to the engine, we know what the priorities of the OT team are now, and maybe what we have in outerra with respect to the rivers is provisional, I do not know, but persolmente I think we should give more Importance to that natural current of water that flows with continuity, its flow, its route its mouth.

:)

2eyed

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 12:14:12 pm »

Any news for a solution regarding the everywhere seem phenomena of rivers going up and down like rollercoasters? It isn't particularly realistic :D and make me feel odd (at least in vr).

Jagerbomber

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 12:38:33 pm »

I'm assuming they just behave like roads, right?  So they follow the additions in the ground (like rocks and such).  :P

Are we even able to modify them yet, or no?...
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

2eyed

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 02:16:44 pm »

I'm assuming they just behave like roads, right?  So they follow the additions in the ground (like rocks and such).  :P

Are we even able to modify them yet, or no?...
You're right atm rivers are roads with a water texture - but uphilling? Pleeease!

Instead, water should flow to the lowest point of the terrain and not look like an artificial canal.
OSM doesn't seem right here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:22:35 pm by 2eyed »

Jagerbomber

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 08:32:24 pm »

Yeah well, not only do OSM mistakes need to be fixed (by users? or some other system?) but the terrain isn't 100% accurate to real life, and can't really be, so there's gonna be weirdness with rivers, especially if the OSM data isn't accurate.

I'd think putting in a system to try to correct river weirdness would be rather challenging, and if individual segments were to be set as always flowing downhill, then you'd have rivers flowing in 2 different directions, changing by segment... unless.... something were implemented to delete upwards waypoints (and probably cut through the terrain), or average the point out so it's actually still there, just not upwards.  I guess that's about the best way to do it, Wouldn't know what other weirdness would happen beyond that.

But actually, I haven't been around rivers very much in Outerra yet still, as I only have 1 large flat one miles away from me (from the data).
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Eönwë

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 10:14:25 pm »

Hello!

This is a good start.   As I just mentioned to Monks rivers must follow the terrain, so the topography dictates the path, width, and speed.   With the right algorithm all this can be done for you.   The inputs need only be topo data, climate, and some hints along the way.

What you have is great for making canals.  Berms and dikes are built up, which is what one would expect.   And canals and man-made waterways should be expected even in Middle Earth.

Keep up the good work.

As also mentioned to Monks... I'm just coming into this project and I want to get started by installing the latest version of Outerra and start reading up on what developer documentation there is available.   Not sure where to look or download, tho.

And advise would be appreciated

E
Pages: 1 [2]