Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: A question for the forum.  (Read 4580 times)

HiFlyer

A question for the forum.
« on: June 14, 2014, 03:15:12 pm »

There is a lot of talk about using Outerra for purposes of Flight Simulation, but the question is: even if that were to happen, given the possibility's of the engine, would anyone ever want to stop just there?

Why not?

Shouldn't Flight Simulation be enough for anyone?

Does anyone agree with this? And if you don't (which I suspect will overwhelmingly be the case) why not?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

John514

• Certified TARDIS driver.
Re: A question for the forum.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 03:33:19 pm »

What, you mean using the engine in one game and then giving up? Why would anyone do that?
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling

Note: I do not claim to know everything.
I just like to help people around the forum.

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 04:19:26 pm »

What, you mean using the engine in one game and then giving up? Why would anyone do that?

Just thinking about a conversation at Avsim. Somebody mentioned that they believed that Virtual world development was the future of simulation.
My reply was:

Thats why I'm keeping my eye on Outerra, and why I wrote recently that there are advantages to making a whole world first and then adding the planes rather than the other way around. I imagine being able to drive to the Airport, hop out and walk across the field then hopping into your plane to fly to your destination. Arriving, you take a short drive to a place with water, to maybe jump onto a yacht for some fishing. Or perhaps you want to try some Skiing. Or hang-gliding. Whatever!!

This reply was met with some disagreement, and to the remark that:

People (kids especially) need to 'step away from the computer' and spend more time outside recreating in the real world. Perhaps it is a blessing that virtual reality is still in development, as it would be way too addictive.

Not an unlikely sentiment to find in the confines of a Flight dedicated forum, but with Outerras potential, I wonder how many other people might agree with the idea of limiting the engines potential in that way?
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

John514

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 04:26:49 pm »

That is entirely possible and the first games with such a concept are starting to pop up. (No Man`s Sky, Star Citizen)
About "addictive" virtual reality:

Addiction is a state of mind. You make the mistake of trying out your first cigarrette, you choose to drink just a little bit more, you choose to add that money you borrowed to the poker table. The only person to blame is yourself, not the guy who made the first cigar, not the guy who invented alchool, not the guy who came up with poker.

Same applies to virtual reality. Use responsibly.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 04:33:52 pm »

Yea, I saw that thread too ...

What's wrong with the real world for, say, fishing?

It fascinates me how some narrow minded flight sim fans only see the flight sim genre in need of (and worthy of) simulation and virtualization. As if there was something wrong with a virtual world for "ordinary" interests like fishing, that is somehow never wrong for flying. As if there weren't aspects to almost any interest that you can't easily experience in the real world.

I would like to believe that such opinions are just a minority, but it surprised me to see how many people saw it that way there.

John514

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 04:40:02 pm »

The main motive for people like these is "Why should I do something on my computer when I can do it in real life?"
What they do not understand is that many people cannot engage in all these activities. The area they live in, their personal health and other problems may not allow them to do so.
For example, I`d love to go bowling and play some golf. The problem is, where I live, there are no golf courses, no places to bowl either.
So, by their narrow minded opinions, I should never have the joy of playing golf or bowling, or should I travell just to do so? (The only place I`ve played golf was germany :\)

HiFlyer

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 04:56:48 pm »

My take on things is that every reasonable opportunity to widen the simulation tent should be taken. Defining certain types of play as the only correct and proper ones is the definition of a narrow tent, and a direct contributor as to why the hobby is so relatively small today.

Variety and inclusiveness are the keys to growth.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 05:52:16 pm »

Well ... the depth of the simulation and the "fun/experience-aspect" balance is what makes people do the stuff, and there is actually the other question in writing - focus on bringing the true reality of it, simplified simulation or just a fun-splash. If ya would like to do there the things you cant do in real life, the reality-based stuff may get in the way to the "great audience", making a lot of people actually hate it and probably would need a set of different handling and gameplay-sets for cowering all types of simulated stuff to feel just the right way at reasonable controls. Doe, personally, its actually exactly what it should be. Experience is what the people will seek and also, all things are more or less a community-based hobby - witch means its mostly people of a certain "mind" about stuff witch the particular simulator represents or of its character. So the concept of a all-out sim-world is actually a world for anyone anywhere whyte the possibility to try anything they would like to know or experience. Maybe wont fit the arcade players, but devs. did add "game-stations" inside games too (so why not make a jukebox-game hall or in-game mod for executing other games (installed on your PC) "in-OT").

Actually, it may be too of some sort of a out-off hand learning and experience form/simulation. Just like when not all students around the world have the possibility to handle some special equipment, but could do that on the real-world site in a simulation grade way whyle having an instructor-notes/audiolog or real human communication advice ...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 06:01:49 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.