Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Outerra as a paid plugin for Unreal Engine 4  (Read 6597 times)

HeadClot

[Suggestion] Outerra as a paid plugin for Unreal Engine 4
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:43:16 pm »

Hey everyone,

Just thought I would make this suggestion. I am an user of the Unreal Engine 4 Dev tools by Epic Games. I am currently working on my own game with their engine. I would like to see Outerra used as a rendering/Terrain plugin for the Unreal Engine 4. Would this be possible?

I would love to see Outerra use Unreal Engine 4 as a "tool backend" for developing AnteWorld.

I would be more than happy to pay 100.00 USD for such a plugin for the Unreal Engine. :)

If anything it would be an interesting experiment.

Thanks for your time,

HeadClot

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: [Suggestion] Outerra as a paid plugin for Unreal Engine 4
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 03:24:44 am »

You essentially cannot merge two 3D engines. There's a lot of stuff implemented in the core OT engine to make it work, that would have to go into the others engine core code.

Even if we could create it as a component, the effort would cost a lot. More than 100k USD ;)
And it would be integrated badly into UE, all the tools and techniques are different. In short, a bad idea.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 04:04:41 am »

Why dont just try to merge OT and Reality then - just make an radio-frequency controlled bulldozer, fit OT white a terrain scanner implementing real-time data to the terrain and go rolling the bulldozer trough OT ...  ;D  :D  - will be just like the good old "Boat" games, just that here you dont see buildings in OT. :D :D

Also, dont know if Unreal is fitted to render a whole planet in real scale ... you could add the model scene, but you wont get all the nice stuff from unreal there (especially whyle OT is in alpha stage).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HeadClot

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 06:20:57 am »

You essentially cannot merge two 3D engines. There's a lot of stuff implemented in the core OT engine to make it work, that would have to go into the others engine core code.

Even if we could create it as a component, the effort would cost a lot. More than 100k USD ;)
And it would be integrated badly into UE, all the tools and techniques are different. In short, a bad idea.

Thanks for the reply :)

I see now why it would be a bad Idea. Thanks for the clarification

Jagerbomber

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:56:39 am »

One does not simply merge two 3D engines...
FTFY  ;D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:04:14 pm »

Also, dont know if Unreal is fitted to render a whole planet in real scale ... you could add the model scene, but you wont get all the nice stuff from unreal there (especially whyle OT is in alpha stage).

Thats not possible. UE is using a volume based level design. Fitting the whole world into this wont work. So, UE can look this good, because they assume some constraints like a modular level design. OT doesnt have these constraints, but others.

@HeadClot:
Each try to unify both worlds, will dramatically fail. But i have some good news for you. UE will not give you the OT quality in world rendering. But OT will give you UE quality in model rendering.. some days in the future. If you want to bet on the right horse, choose OT. I would.