Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Learning texture  (Read 12150 times)

M7

Learning texture
« on: June 21, 2014, 01:12:27 pm »

Ive been playing with max lately and trying to understand the UV mapping process. So i got that piece of machenery from sketchup warehouse, imported it in max and tried the get the uv for one wheel  and then texture it. On the left you can see the the original untextured wheel. I ended up remodeling the wheel (twice) cause it had some defects that could not be fixed easaly.

Dont know if ill do the whole vehicle but it will be good drill before i take on Pyton's btr80.

HiFlyer

Re: Learning texture
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 03:43:37 pm »

Can't wait. I've been wondering about those shiny gloss Outerra wheels for a while, now.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:25:04 pm »

Nice and Dirty.. Also noticed you have an entire town behind you.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

M7

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 01:22:24 am »

Yeah its a small mediaval town, again found on sketchup warehouse. I did some texture in sketchup but kind of got frustrated after a while with the tools available for texturing.

M7

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:36:46 am »

Tried out some more ideas for texturing. I had to do it on a simple object, cause it's too easy to get confused with a complex UV and all the layers in photoshop. I'm really happy with some of the effects like the rust with the smear around it. It almost all came out in an accidental way at the end of the process, by switching on and off some layer. So i'm not sure i could replicate these effects starting again from scratch. I will have to study the photoshop file to try to understand what i did right.

Now i need to get some welding on this thing.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:53:37 am by M7 »

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:53 am »

Nice rust !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

M7

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 04:08:50 pm »

I worked on the speculars and normals mostly at this stage. I think the welding is convincing enough though i'd like it to have it with sharper edge.

One thing that i'm really happy that i discovered, again by accident, is how to make slightly rounded corner using the normals. It's easier to see on top image, but it makes a nice soft highlight where two angles meet.

PytonPago

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:28:05 am »

Its nicely convincing .... the best welding i ewer saw was the work of Igor Gorkovenko:

http://www.artstation.com/artwork/btr-80

( Hes a real pro, so dont ask me, why my model is so crappy in comparison.   ::) )

We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 01:23:18 am »

The Sacks in that render.. THE SACKS!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 01:57:44 am »

The Sacks in that render.. THE SACKS!

Those are soviet army standard issue back-packs (veschmeshok). http://rucksackmania.blogspot.co.at/2014/01/russian-veschmeshok.html

... dont call it a potato sack. ;D

M7

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 09:03:50 am »

Its nicely convincing .... the best welding i ewer saw was the work of Igor Gorkovenko:

http://www.artstation.com/artwork/btr-80

( Hes a real pro, so dont ask me, why my model is so crappy in comparison.   ::) )

The details are pretty crazy! there's what, 3-4 millions polygons in there? This is a great welding reference. I will sure use it.

I wonder if he used displacement map for the textured stuff or if he added these in sculpt 3d

Revolver

• Adlerhorst-Hangar Design Group ©
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 09:22:37 am »

if somebody interests, here is also very interesting styles for metal representation...
http://galgot.free.fr/wordpress/?p=592

...and color search (Hex:? etc.)...
http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

;)
"Es gibt nur eine Sünde, die gegen die ganze Menschheit mit allen ihren Geschlechtern begangen
werden kann, und dies ist die Verfälschung der Geschichte."(F.Hebbel)

PytonPago

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 10:31:31 am »

The details are pretty crazy! there's what, 3-4 millions polygons in there? This is a great welding reference. I will sure use it.

I wonder if he used displacement map for the textured stuff or if he added these in sculpt 3d

Not sure ... he said on a forum, that certain stuff was made in Z-brush, but im not sure if he used it just to bake a really good texture-set out of it applied in a better rendering software, or its the real deal in insane poly-count.

if somebody interests, here is also very interesting styles for metal representation...
http://galgot.free.fr/wordpress/?p=592

...and color search (Hex:? etc.)...
http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

;)

... that plane needs to be in OT !  :)

M7

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 06:53:52 pm »

Hey thanks AH-GD, these are kind of references i like to find.

Think i got it right this time (the welding). It's really not obvious when the weld in the middle of a seam and in a concave angle. Took me a while to figure it out, though I find it works best when the sun is at a 45 degree angle.

PytonPago

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 12:14:43 am »

Looks sweet !

Pages: [1] 2