Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: [Released] Ilyushin Il-14P  (Read 78071 times)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: [Released] Ilyushin Il-14P
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 01:54:13 am »

Can I ask if you'd take a look at Ilyushin Il-14P and confirm what happens when it runs out of fuel ?

... you could find the script part defining the amount and set it to 80 KG. Im sure it runs out pretty soon and you can attempt an engine-less glide for a rough landing.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 03:12:43 am »

Can I ask if you'd take a look at Ilyushin Il-14P and confirm what happens when it runs out of fuel ?
I just did a quick test, and right after it runs out of fuel, the engines start losing power, and therefore losing altitude, forcing you to do an emergency landing :D. But for some reason, the engines never shut down automatically.

As PytonPago said, you can always try it yourself by setting the fuel content in each tank editing the 'Ilyushin_Il14P.xml' file.

Or, you can set the fuel content through the script as well.
Write under function initialize(reload):
Code: [Select]
jsb['propulsion/tank[0]/contents-lbs']=10;
jsb['propulsion/tank[1]/contents-lbs']=10;

And if you want to precisely see the content of each tank in real time, just print each fuel tank in the console.
Write under function update_frame(dt):
Code: [Select]
this.log_inf("tank0: "+jsb['propulsion/tank[0]/contents-lbs']);
this.log_inf("tank1: "+jsb['propulsion/tank[1]/contents-lbs']);
then press 'P' key.

PytonPago

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 03:44:53 am »

I just did a quick test, and right after it runs out of fuel, the engines start losing power, and therefore losing altitude, forcing you to do an emergency landing :D. But for some reason, the engines never shut down automatically.

... well, normally, propellers still turning due to great air-speed (the airflow just) - auto rotation as also by the helicopters, doe without the partial lift effect. They could doe block themselves if an engine gets critically damaged (causing the axle to get blocked), but normally, it should still auto-rotate till a certain speed, where the airflow force isnt enough to turn the propellers ( but dont ask me how to calculate that speed for the Il :D ).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:46:58 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 03:58:42 am »

... well, normally, propellers still turning due to great air-speed (the airflow just) - auto rotation as also by the helicopters, doe without the partial lift effect. They could doe block themselves if an engine gets critically damaged, but normally, it should still auto-rotate till a certain speed, where the airflow force isnt enough to turn the propellers.
Of course, I know that, but the thing is that I landed the plane, put the brakes on, and the engines are still running, until you press 'E' to shut them down.

Also, talking about engines, it would be very nice to be able to slowly start the engines, not suddenly. Just like the way you shut them down. :)

bomber

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 02:16:55 pm »

ok thanks for your discussion, it pointed me in the correct direction...

1) JSBsim file within Outerra must ALWAYS contain an engine.
2) For a glider the thrust and power tables in the prop need to be reduced to zero.

Levi, I think the code for the sound needs to use 'engine running' rather than rpm to play the sound.

propulsion/engine[0]/set-running = 0 or 1

"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 02:47:01 pm »

2) For a glider the thrust and power tables in the prop need to be reduced to zero.

Levi, I think the code for the sound needs to use 'engine running' rather than rpm to play the sound.

You're very welcome! Glad it helped.

And thanks! I didn't know about that property :D I think I'll use it on the A380 :)

Doe, it would be very useful to have a full list of all JSBSim properties, as I spent a considerable amount of time just searching for the wanted property :-\

bomber

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 03:55:50 pm »

And thanks! I didn't know about that property :D I think I'll use it on the A380 :)

Doe, it would be very useful to have a full list of all JSBSim properties, as I spent a considerable amount of time just searching for the wanted property :-\

Well I'm attempting to get my flight models to run in both Flightgear and here...

This is because FG has a better debug tool that allows me to see all the properties within the flightmodel.... it's something that the dev here need to look at as it's virtually impossible to do a complex flight model without this facility.

I also assume you have the jsbsim manual ?

One of the advantages of being able to see the properties used within JSBsim is that they don't update the manual on too regular a basis and being able to look at the list of properties and think "I've not see that before" can get you doing the right investigation work as to its functionality and extended uses.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:00:40 pm by bomber »
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

HiFlyer

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 07:29:15 pm »

Don't know if these are useful;

http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/aeromatic2.html

http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/JSBSimReferenceManual.pdf

http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/JSBSim/classes.html
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:32:38 pm by HiFlyer »
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

PytonPago

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 11:44:28 pm »

This is because FG has a better debug tool that allows me to see all the properties within the flightmodel.... it's something that the dev here need to look at as it's virtually impossible to do a complex flight model without this facility.

... what stuff can you look at there ? Or you can get any thing from the functions you like to see ?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:46:47 pm by PytonPago »

bomber

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 02:55:44 am »

Every property is available to be seen in 'real time'....

I'm not 'advertising' FG, I'm just thinking that it does no harm to 'cherry pick' the good stuff.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 03:03:17 am »

Well I'm attempting to get my flight models to run in both Flightgear and here...

I also assume you have the jsbsim manual ?

One of the advantages of being able to see the properties used within JSBsim is that they don't update the manual on too regular a basis and being able to look at the list of properties and think "I've not see that before" can get you doing the right investigation work as to its functionality and extended uses.
I will have to take a look at that Flight Gear's debug tool, sounds very interesting.

Yes, I have the JSBSim manual, but I didn't used it too much. Now you mentioned about it, I did a quick search for 'set-running' in the manual, and voila! I found the list I was looking for! I must be very blind to miss that :o

But, as you said, the manual isn't being updated too frequently (last version is from 6/9/2011), and they may have changed/added some properties and other things since then...

Then, the best way to see all and latest properties, is using FG's debug tool, right?

bomber

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2014, 03:19:20 am »

Yes that's the best way of seeing every available property at present.... I'd prefer to do that here tho rather than FG.

Whilst were talking animation, the engine cowls would more realisticaly be animated using engine temp rather than rpm...  if we had extended keyboard functionality we could create an engine cooling system (already written) and use a property from that to animate with.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2014, 03:22:45 am »

Don't know if these are useful;

http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/aeromatic2.html
http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/JSBSimReferenceManual.pdf
http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/JSBSim/classes.html
Thanks HiFlyer! I always use Aeromatic :D.
I also have the manual, but about the classes... I found those too, but I don't see how can I use them in Outerra.

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 03:27:13 am »

Every property is available to be seen in 'real time'....

I'm not 'advertising' FG, I'm just thinking that it does no harm to 'cherry pick' the good stuff.
I don't know if you already know this, but in Outerra, you can see them in 'real time' as well in the console, within JavaScript :D
Don't worry about 'advertising' FG, any positive "advertising" is very welcomed ;D

Levi

• Outerra Mods Site!
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 03:50:25 am »

Yes that's the best way of seeing every available property at present.... I'd prefer to do that here tho rather than FG.

Whilst were talking animation, the engine cowls would more realisticaly be animated using engine temp rather than rpm...  if we had extended keyboard functionality we could create an engine cooling system (already written) and use a property from that to animate with.
I knew sometime, somebody will say something about that :D I don't really know how cowls works, they open to cool the engine or something? I animated them just for eye candy because I like the way they open and close :D

I also searched for the property to show fuel and oil temperature to animate the gauges, but I didn't found anything :(

And yes, we really need extended keyboard functionality, or even better, clickable cockpits. But we just have to wait until that's implemented :)

I also have to mention that I have a very little experience/knownledge with JSBSim and/or aviation. My first interacting with JSBSim/JavaScript, was when I started working on the Basler. Not too long time ago, so I have a lot of things to learn ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9