Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: error dds texture not found  (Read 5086 times)

HansensUniverse

error dds texture not found
« on: June 22, 2014, 12:47:04 pm »

How do you make these textures can someone actually post a tutorial step by step tired of flying around reading it's getting me no where, all the files in these folders why are they there what do they do and how to make such things i have made am model and imported it in Outerra, it's giving me an error ERROR texture dds not found yay no textures on my models i have tried everything, no good tutorials out there i am left out just guessing, Outerra team must make this more simple i have made add ons for flight sims and other games but this is the worst i have seen ever, easy things get hard, what i also have tried to do is convert jpg to dds after sketchup have made the collada file and assign dds in the collada file by opening it with wordpad i have seen others do this but no working... close to giving up this madness
Cheers Tony Hansen :)

HiFlyer

Re: error dds texture not found
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:22:09 pm »

Outerra has an interesting history. Features are mentioned, shown or even implemented......

And then they quietly disappear. I think this is another of those thing that was there for a while.....

And then the dog ate it!!!  :o
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 04:50:53 pm »

Unfortunately that's what alpha means, and why it's a bit more complex to use at the moment. Collada format showed up to be a bag of problems, and to get support for animations and other things we had to implement support for FBX format and direct our efforts there. FBX importer (ctrl+F7) now also converts the textures automatically to dds, which hasn't yet been ported back into the Collada importer.

You can read about the texture requirements for Collada on the wiki. See the part about texture paths. If you can post the converted model and the textures, I'm sure people here will be able to help you.
Hopefully someone can also document the steps into the wiki - I'm sure there was a tutorial in a forum thread, but that gets lost easily.

Outerra has an interesting history. Features are mentioned, shown or even implemented......

And then they quietly disappear. I think this is another of those thing that was there for a while.....
Hmm, not sure what features you mean that have disappeared. In any case nothing disappeared from the importer, this awkwardness of use was there from the initial version.

Though I guess this was an unrelated sigh. Things that have been shown and are not yet in the public version - that's because we won't be releasing them until they work globally and to our satisfaction. They are more like concepts or tests, but often times there's a lot more effort needed to get them ironed out and out of the gates.
I guess we will be more cautious with it, especially wrt simulator fans who are in such quantum entangled state of wishes and doubts ;)

wayne57

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 05:15:14 pm »

Ok i had the same problem using gimp and blender
changing the textures to dds in gimp was easy
i loaded the png file which blender exports into gimp
then exported it as a dds file BCI/DXT1
next i went back to blender made sure all the parts had a material
most of the time the default grey. Then i clicked on the parts in uv edit
and assigned the textures. Now i have the model and textures all in one file for ease of finding
hope this helps

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 05:27:18 pm »

Less to do with Flight simming and just general stuff, like the 3D Trees which were shown quite some time ago then seemed to go on the back burner, and things like emmissive textures, which I vaguely recall actually showed up on a Cessna dial for a while and then went away. And I seem to recall the shadows being different but I might, be mistaken on that one.

I just take it to mean that its all still very fluid.
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

M7

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 05:50:14 pm »

Now if you successfully converted your textures to a dds format, you still have to  manually drop the .dds texture files in your vehicle/object folder in ....C:/programs files(x86)/outerra/anteworld/package/username/object folder.

wayne57

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 01:07:56 am »

this is how i was explained to do it from other forum members.
Made a file saved all my files to it including the my blender file png and when i made them
my dds files. After model was made went back into my modeling program which was blender
and applied the dds files in exchange of the png files made in blender. i also made blank object and
parented all pcs to it. blank object was usually a main part of the model. i would highlight and remove all vertices
of blank object leaving the model and textures. next i would export it as a colllada file then import it into outerra.