Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Universal ground vehicle for the game  (Read 28959 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Universal ground vehicle for the game
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:34 am »

Here are few renders by our artist - prototype ground vehicle that could be in the game. It was inspired by the modern line of Tatra trucks, T815-7
It should be used with several bodies for different purposes.

WarlockSyno

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:24:57 am »

That looks really cool.  :o

[deleted]

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 12:33:57 pm »

Well, now we wait only for a demo : D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 02:04:23 pm »

The future brings us a tatra of unimaginable grayness! lol.

I think it needs a massive bull bar up front for tree crushing and a 360 degree rack of "illuminator pods" ie Lights on top for night work in the very dark forests of Outerra.

What kinds of modules are you thinking about creating for the back?
and will that trailer tow hitch on the back be usable?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 03:19:42 pm »

No, the truck won't be used for tree crushing, it will be a civilized vehicle :)
There's no way it could hide and enclose all aspects of road making anyway.

The modules, well, something needed for the transportation and economic side of things - bulk cargo, tanker, hutch, maybe also the stakes.
Some others for action.

Abc94

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:09:27 pm »

Looks pretty good!  But why are you modeling another truck when you already have the tatra?

BTW was it made in Blender and is angrypig the artist?
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 05:47:23 pm »

Quote from: Abc94
Looks pretty good!  But why are you modeling another truck when you already have the tatra?
Well it would not be easy to use the old Tatra even if we wanted - we'd need a license from Tatra to use it, another one from the original maker of the model that was later fixed and updated to the model we have got now, and so on.
Another problem would be to use a truck design from year 1960 in a game set slightly to the future.

BTW was it made in Blender and is angrypig the artist?
No, Angrypig's anything but an artist :D
It was made by our friend and external coworker Chyshney, who's otherwise a pro 3D modeler working usually with 3DS MAX.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:28:00 pm »

Well as a bit of a critique on the vehicle itself. I like the overall. Its still very tatra-ish. Ive been racking my brain trying to figure a way to modernize the cab a bit. If I come up with anything I will post it. I think the wheels need rotational distinction. IE on the actual tatra the air filler covers go across the rim. Which helps show off the tire rotation and physics.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Tatra_813_KOLOS_1.jpg

You could do some futuristic Raised white lettering instead. Something small and useful. Tire size and tread type.

What colors are we thinking of for this thing? I don't see camouflage being a requirement in an empty world. IN FACT.. I think if each user could texture their own tatr... er um.. (need to think of a catchy name) then it would give a player some distinction and customization and could only add to draw of the game. I would probably do mine in Gulf Racing Colors.. http://bit.ly/em9nrr
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 03:50:44 am »

Btw here's a range.

I've been thinking about the user coloring as well. There could be also a common style across player's vehicles and building markings. I'm thinking about reusing an old coloring algo from my Bomberman clone, where the models were originally painted using shades of red/green, and the player could select his two colors to replace them. It looked like this:

Nowadays this can be done easily in shader, and it would provide a very cheap variability, without requiring a special texturing addon for the modeler.
Otherwise we are iterating towards procedural materials, but I guess it will take some time.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 04:27:20 am »

That second dude is totally the Gulf Racing livery.

I was just thinking. A logo or flag individual for each player would be awesome. It could be an ___x___ bmp uploaded to a main server that could be used on vehicles, building, clothing as sort of a branding.

Minecraft does this with player skins. They are a bit smaller then what I am thinking...

But none the less. The technology is there.

With this abuse is bound to happen. But whats a game without a little abuse? Give super mods like me something to do. ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 05:02:29 am »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
That second dude it totally the Gulf Racing livery.
Yup, I made that one for you :)

The logo/flag - possibly. But yes, we will need some moderators then. An Outerra inspector, but you'll have to go there to put it down :)

Epicmokies

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 09:06:01 am »

no, the truck won't be used for tree crushing, it will be a civilized vehicle
does that mean it WONT be able to or if its a possibility if the player desired to.  ;)
CPU: Intel i5 2500K @ 3.7GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3 Kingston
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
Videocard: MSI N560TI-Hawk
HDDs: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
PSU: Corsair TX650
Monitor: BenQ E2200HD + Chimei CMC 22 W

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 02:42:22 am »

Quote from: EpicMokies
does that mean it WONT be able to or if its a possibility if the player desired to.  ;)
Well, technically it's not the kind of vehicle that's designed for that. It could still crush smaller trees though.
I thought Zeos referred to the vehicle that is meant to build roads - a slow, universal combine, that chews the trees and dirt in front of it and builds a road as it goes. It would hide a lot of detail of how the roads are being created.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 03:43:22 am »

Yes. I never envisioned the Tatra <-> artaT or whatever it is we are calling it doing the road building. That would require a larger autonomous vehicle. Something big enough to make runways in a few passes. I don't think it would need to be user driven either.

Oh. Make sure the 8 wheel can keep up with it's 4 wheel counterparts cousins. It will make the journey just that much more special.

[youtube]rILqvLFqspo[/youtube]

EDIT.. Amend-um.

If we cant call it a tatra we really need to think of a name. I've been going over animal names like "Badger" and "Wolverine" But I think an acronym would be superior. (ie.. SETI. Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)

http://acronymcreator.net/

I am trying to think of keywords like terrain, drive, powered, modern, vehicle, modular, system, global, solar, transport, universal, ground, ...

I am sure we can all think of some more. Eventually we will have enough to make an AWESOME name. Like the B.A.D.G.E.R.! :cool:

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 11:39:31 am »

ATTRX: All-Terrain Transport and Recovery eXplorer

Pronounced like at tracks
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)
Pages: [1] 2